First winter

Ok first of all it’s 100/112 square footage inside no that doesn’t count the outside boxes it’s just the area inside the coop itself . All my birds fit easily on my roosts I have many , those are the only two hen boxes are high up and my chickens love to fly up there and chill , I have like 12 on the ground .
You can’t see the gap good it’s about an inch wide gap running along the wall where the roof meets . The roof doesn’t leak but If that ends up being the case I’ll patch it . I’m not getting rid of any chickens I have one five month cockerel and 29 pullets they are ranging from 5 months old to 12 weeks old .
As far as the tarp no I’m not trapping the roof at all I want to tarp around my building and around both runs but not the tops . I think thatbwas all your questions

You can’t see the gap good it’s about an inch wide gap running along the wall where the roof meets .
I'd cover that (and any other gaps larger than 1/2") with 1/2" hardware cloth. There's no reason to tarp the coop walls, a bit of air flow there is fine, good in fact. You need good winter ventilation with that many birds. Best way to assess any drafts is to go inside coop during high winds and feel for excessive drafts. People worry to much about them being 'warm' than they need too. Here's good discussion about ventilation vs drafts, that may shed some light on the subject for you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts.1048597/

The roof doesn’t leak but If that ends up being the case I’ll patch it .
Maybe it was repaired after this happened? Definitely some water damage there.
upload_2019-9-23_18-31-53.png

Oh possibly the original structure has been here for years and years but all torn up and my husband restored it and built onto it but that original little building has been there awhile but he reinforced pieces to it

Back
Top Bottom