First winter

Amrobblee

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
This will be my first winter with ducks and it’s supposed to get down to 8 degree weather here this weekend so any tips on keeping my babies warmer would be appreciated! I lock them in a run at night with an insulated dog house inside but they refuse to go inside the house so I'm worried they’ll get way too cold at night

Yesterday, it started snowing here in North Central Iowa and the temperature was as low as 19 degrees. While my chickens all huddled in their coops, my runner ducks didn't spend a minute in their shelter once I opened it in the morning.

They laid together in the snow and/or hunted for goodies that were buried under it. Winter here gets horribly cold; last year it was in the minus 20s more than once. My runners spend their nights in a partially open shelter that I pile straw bales around as insulation and to break the wind.

My best suggestion for water is to use a heated dog dish. They're fairly cheap and have that wired-wrapped cord that discourages attacks from duck (and geese) bills.

Back
Top Bottom