First winter

Chicken_girl_07

Chirping
May 20, 2020
PA
My Coop
My Coop
Our coop is raised up off the ground, about two feet, and there are holes we drilled that we are planing to seal to keep heat in firming the winter. We live in central pa, south of Harrisburg, and it gets pretty cold in the winter, into the negatives. I was wondering if I need to add supplemental heat to the coop, and is so when. We are getting a heated water that will stay outside with the food ( in the run). We covered 2 sides of the run with clear plastic to keep some heat in and the frigid wind out. Any recommendations on how to keep the chicken warm??

Yes, I agree with them. It's my first winter as well and put clear tarps up also. Today was the first day our water froze (we live in NJ). I'm going to be bringing their water in the house every night so It doesn't freeze overnight and then put it back in the morning with hot water. I suggest putting hay or if straw lots of it in the run so that the dirt isn't cold on their feet (if you have dirt). Cover all drafts in the coop and if the outside is 30 something the coop should be 30 something on the inside as well. If you have a big enough run add some straw bales in there so they can have places to be other than the cold ground. If you can add one where the sun hits so they can sun bathe and be in heat. That's what mine do in the morning.

and there are holes we drilled that we are planing to seal to keep heat in firming the winter.
Do not seal off the holes, they need good ventilation all year around.
Post some pics of your coop and run and we can help you figure it out.

Any recommendations on how to keep the chicken warm??
Their feathers keep them warm.
As long as the coop is dry and has good ventilation they will be fine.

Do not seal off the holes, they need good ventilation all year around.
Post some pics of your coop and run and we can help you figure it out.

Their feathers keep them warm.
As long as the coop is dry and has good ventilation they will be fine.
Ok thanks! Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 06C27358-62A6-4DD5-A1A3-2061B013D2A7.jpeg
    06C27358-62A6-4DD5-A1A3-2061B013D2A7.jpeg
    793 KB · Views: 9
  • 56ADA50C-AEC2-4231-926E-2738F69153F4.jpeg
    56ADA50C-AEC2-4231-926E-2738F69153F4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • DBA11878-E6FD-458A-899A-248EE7C1DF46.jpeg
    DBA11878-E6FD-458A-899A-248EE7C1DF46.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
If those two small holes are the only ventilation in that coop you must not cover them up and, in fact, should add additional ventilation because moisture will build up and cause frostbite -- not to mention the air quality issues due to ammonia. :)

I agree that with more photos we can help you get your coop set up. :)

P.S. Are those Light Brahmas or Colombian Wynadottes? I can't see their feet clearly. I LOVE Colombian patterning.

Back
Top Bottom