Firzzle? Bantam? Who knows?

vickichicki

Songster
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I posted pics of my recent chicks for identifying. This guy was one of the generic looking black and yellow spots with no definite confirmation on breed. He was from a bantam bin, however at 2 weeks old he towers over all the other bantams I have. I am thinking there was a stray chick in the bin.
Also noticed his feathers are really messy looking. Hard to tell in the pictures, but most of his feathers are upturned. He looks like he could do with a brush.
Any suggestions on confirming this and then another shot at breed?

Size comparison with another chick we got at the same time.

Thanks guys
thumbsup.gif

Wow that little guy looks huuuge compared to the other. I am no pro so dont take my word but I dont think it looks frizzle because the wing feathers look normal. I think it might look like that because its losing its fuzz. I guess time will tell I would love to see a picture of it at a later point in time. Or when you figure out what it is

He doesn't look like our Bantam Frizzle. It is really obvious she's a frizzle, all her feathers curl out. I wonder if it could just be a cochin? I don't know if Bantam Cochins tend to be bigger than other bantams, but we have one I got out of the bantam bin that is also bigger than the other bantys we have.

Here's nugget with another bantam that is the same age (see how much bigger he is?):

Here is our frizzle, for comparison:

Its a barred Cochin, and it doesn't look frizzled to me. When I was breeding Cochins, most of the chicks had the same messy feathers as yours. Cochins are SUPER fluffy, so I think they just look ragged until all that fluff settles in where it should. All of my frizzles were obvious as soon as their little wing feathers started coming in, and my frizzles were very "soft" not extremely curled....
Nikki

Sadly the picture I took do not do the feathers justice. All of the feathers do curl up on the ends.

I did however google Barred Cochin found a picture pretty close to my guy on Feathersite looks good. Thanks for that howfunky!

Guess I shall wait a while to see how the feather end up lying.

Can not wait!

Back
Top Bottom