Fish amoxicillin

Just got back from the Vet he gave me this medication and said add 2 tablespoons into 1 gal water and let it be the only water source has anyone ever heard of this medicine before because I've never used it but I'm sure the vet knows what he's doing,I read on that package not to use on laying hens all the birds are together but the free range also, So will this medication hurt the laying hens??

SMZ, is a sulfa drug often used to treat Coccidiosis, Coryza, and some other respiratory diseases in birds. The warning you see on the packet is stating there is meat and egg withdrawal for the drug. I believe there is only a ten-day meat withdrawal, but they do suggest never eating the eggs again from the birds that were treated ( a lot of people don't follow this suggestion and eat eggs using the same withdrawal time as the meat).

Here is some info on SMZ,
https://www.drugs.com/vet/smz-med-454.html

I put the medicine in their water yesterday .This morning when I went to the barn I didn't see the royal palm poult she is 4 months old so after looking I found her behind the barn, I dont no what's wrong with her she has no symptoms except she acts like shes drunk, she tried to stand up but fell over :( so I brought her to the house and put her in a lot by herself I took her some electrolytes and scrambled eggs mixed with her feed She is standing now but when she walks shes wobbly..I've raised her from a day old chick shes more of a pet then anything else ..what should I do?

I would not treat all of your chickens with the sulfa antibiotic the vet gave you, but only the sick one. It is hard to know what exactly is wrong with her, but acting drunk and having a hard time staying upright might be signs of dehydration, coccidiosis, or Mareks unfortunately. I would keep her separated to monitor what she is eating and drinking. Make sure that she drinks enough, and I would offer some scrambled egg, tuna, wet chicken feed, or canned cat food in addition to her usual feed. If you have any pictures of how she looks, that might be helpful.

I went out to get a video and when I opened the cage she was acting like she had a seizure and then she died I'm so heartbroken:( I dont understand what happened, a few weeks ago i had a Turkey hen so the same thing and she died 😢

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss. I would keep her body cold on ice in a cooler, and tomorrow morning contact your state poultry vet for a necropsy to find out what was wrong with her. They cannalso test for Mareks Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

It can be common when a chicken is going through the throes of death that they may have seizure like activity.

Ok so after using that medicine which didn't do any good I took her back to the Vet, I also noticed the Cochin roo eye was swollen and he had drainage coming from his eyes and nose, so the Vet said it was respiratory and gave me the medication in the pics, he said use in the water for 7 days which I did 8 days so the rooster eye went down and the both seemed fine..for a few days then this happened, Idk if it's a gapeworm or respiratory "again " what do you think should I retreat them with the antibiotics or treat fir gapeworm if its gapeworm I have a medicine called poultry dewormer 5x ( in pics below) but its in capsules.

Attachments

• 20201024_075634.jpg
    20201024_075634.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 16035415010842508644213268472293.jpg
    16035415010842508644213268472293.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 8
We usually recommend that wormer fenbendazole or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste 1/4 ml per pound to be given orally for 5 days in a row. I do not know if the fenbendazole you have is the same strength or not. The paste and liquid are 10%. What is the one you have?

It was recommended earlier to use an antibiotic for MG earlier in this thread. Tylosin, doxycycline, baytril, oxytetracycline, and the one you now have can treat it. Since it has helped the eye be less swollen, you are probably dealing with MG. Symptoms can come back again during times of stress. Gaping can sometimes be a sign of respiratory disease, but it is good that you are going to worm him.

It’s good that your vet is giving you some antibiotics for the water. Amoxicillin is not the best for respiratory diseases since mycoplasma, one of the common ones, does not have a cell wall. So tylosin, oxytetracycline, doxycycline, Denagard, or Baytril are better choices for bacterial diseases. Some are caused by viruses as well, not responding to antibiotics, and would run there course over rime.
It’s good that your vet is giving you some antibiotics for the water. Amoxicillin is not the best for respiratory diseases since mycoplasma, one of the common ones, does not have a cell wall. So tylosin, oxytetracycline, doxycycline, Denagard, or Baytril are better choices for bacterial diseases. Some are caused by viruses as well, not responding to antibiotics, and would run there course over rime.
How effective is doxycycline?

I know two cases when it has not worked on respiratory problems and the chicks have died. Also, a vet lab once tested a dead chick and said died out pneumonia (pseudomonad), did antibiogram and pseudomonas was resistant to doxy.
So would you say that Amoxicillin is great for lower and upper respiratory infections?

Back
Top Bottom