Fish "baytril"

Metronidazole I believe I was told is the same thing as Flagyl.If you talk to your vet and tell him what the issue is,they (well my vet) will sell you a prescription for metronidazole.It was only 8.00 for 15 pills when I last got which was 5 or 6 years ago.Fish zole is the same thing also,why so many names for 1 product?
In N.H.,Tony.

more sighs... it was an appendix, maybe, from a vet manual, with a list of a bajillion meds, alphabetically, then species or "avian," dosage per kg, method of administration... I really liked that chart!
love.gif
I found the link today on one of your posts, but I can't remember how recent the post was.... Girl, you have HISTORY on this site.
bow.gif

Metronidazole I believe I was told is the same thing as Flagyl.If you talk to your vet and tell him what the issue is,they (well my  vet) will sell you a prescription for metronidazole.It was only 8.00 for 15 pills when I last got which was 5 or 6 years ago.Fish zole is the same thing also,why so many names for 1 product?
In N.H.,Tony.

Fish-Zole is also a good one to have. I have it for stuff like blackhead, giardia, canker and enteritis, but I won't treat the sorts of things Baytril does.

-Kathy

more sighs... it was an appendix, maybe, from a vet manual, with a list of a bajillion meds, alphabetically, then species or "avian," dosage per kg, method of administration...  I really liked that chart! :love   I found the link today on one of your posts, but I can't remember how recent the post was....  Girl, you have HISTORY on this site. :bow

So you saw it today but now you can't find it? I hate it when that happens!

-Kathy

Anyway, I'm running the numbers on cost for the fish version of enrofloxacin (Fish Enro) versus bottled Baytril liquid...

Using our hypothetical 6 kg (13 lb 3 oz) male pea...

He would need approximately 180 mg of enrofloxacin per day at the 30 mg/kg daily rate, whether given as one dose or divided into multiple doses.

One bottle (30 capsules @ 25 mg) would treat him for 5 days at 6 capsules -- 150 mg -- per day. Since they are 25 mg each, we could throw in one more per day and get a little closer to our desired 180 mg for his body weight of 6 kg, but then we won't have quite enough capsules in one bottle... There's 30 capsule bottles for around $32, and 60 capsule bottles for around $60.

For a five day course of meds, using Fish Enro it will cost us around $35 to $40.

There's also a Fish Enro Forte, which contains 125 mg per capsule (5 times as much medicine in each capsule), and sells for $78 for a bottle of 30, or $30 for a bottle of 12.

To get to our desired 180 mg of meds, we would have to give him 1 1/2 capsules per day (it is much stronger, hence the "forte" in the name), so a five day course of treatment would be $13 to $22, depending on which size bottle we bought.

Now if we used liquid Baytril instead of the fish version, 10% solution -- which contains 100 mg/ml, our 6 kg bird will need 1.8 ml of medicine per day. It looks like 25 ml bottles can be had for $23 to $25 on the internet, which provides enough meds for about 14 doses in each bottle. One course of treatment would require 5 of those doses (it could be split over a couple of times a day), so roughly $8 for a course of treatment.

So @casportpony is correct (when is she not?) that the liquid Baytril is cheaper.

On the other hand, if availability is a problem, such as one can't get the liquid (prescription only, but there are some suppliers on the internet who apparently will sell without a prescription), then the fish version might be a viable alternative.

I still have to read all that most recent stuff to see if it discusses the fish version. Also, Thomas Labs has a phone number to call to see if one is ordering the correct kind of enrofloxacin... We could ask them about bioavailability in the fish version... after explaining we do not eat our Peas
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom