Fish Hook Caught in my Bantams Thigh

Nugz4hugz

Hatching
Jul 14, 2021
I have a bantam that has a fish hook caught in its inner thigh. All I could do was cut the shaft from the hook to give it more comfort because it seems to be caught behind the femur. I do not have the money to take it to a vet but it is still walking around and flying. Will this bird survive? Its a yard bird and I don't really need to take care of it Banty's are pretty self sustainable but I don't want it to suffer either. I have some hydro nutrients that have antibiotics in it so ill start encouraging it to drink that but other than that is there anything I need to do or be aware of? Like, I just need the most honest answer..... Is it worth letting it live?

I have a bantam that has a fish hook caught in its inner thigh. All I could do was cut the shaft from the hook to give it more comfort because it seems to be caught behind the femur. I do not have the money to take it to a vet but it is still walking around and flying. Will this bird survive? Its a yard bird and I don't really need to take care of it Banty's are pretty self sustainable but I don't want it to suffer either. I have some hydro nutrients that have antibiotics in it so ill start encouraging it to drink that but other than that is there anything I need to do or be aware of? Like, I just need the most honest answer..... Is it worth letting it live?
Is the fish hook all the way through? Most the time. (I've had many hooks through me over the years) I've just finish pushing it through and then cut the end with the barb off with a pair of pliers. Is it painful, sure! But it saved me many of hours sitting in the ER. With that being said. If the hook it poking out the other side cut the barb and slide it out. Clean the wound and send it back out side

Is the fish hook all the way through? Most the time. (I've had many hooks through me over the years) I've just finish pushing it through and then cut the end with the barb off with a pair of pliers. Is it painful, sure! But it saved me many of hours sitting in the ER. With that being said. If the hook it poking out the other side cut the barb and slide it out. Clean the wound and send it back out side
It is not all the way through. Should I push it through still though?

Well that would depend on where it is and what it's hooked into. I won't make that call without seeing it first.
I’m pretty sure it’s in the femur I just picked it up and checked it. I’ll try to get pictures shortly is there anything I can give it for pain? I read they’re pretty tolerable I just don’t want to mess with the hook if it’s gonna be too painful for it

Back
Top Bottom