fish pond as a source of water

gallery2000

Songster
15 Years
Aug 6, 2007
I have a fishpond. I am planning to connect my chicken run with it. Is it safe for the chickens to drink pond water?

Matters on the pond, how big it is, how often do you turn the water over aka Do you have a waterfall or does the water just sit there. Do you filter the water? What have you added or will add to the water in the future? What type of fish are in there, yes the fish matter? Make sure there is NO Elephant Ears in it. It should be ok but I would keep a backup water for them incase they don't like it or need to get used to it.

Bubba

Last edited:
It is a big and natural pond (at least 50,000 gallons). It would take me months to change the water in the pond so I did not do that.

gallery.....I have a small pond as well....40 x 120.....and my chickens love to walk to the edge and get a drink. The problems is.....MINK!! They love the water..and birds for a meal. Just be carefull! Not sure if you have mink in your area.

Elephant Ears are plants they look like Taro plants. They grow from a single rhizome (sp) which then spreads. They can be gorgeous plants, just don't use them in water you want your animals to drink. Cattails, bamboo, lilies are fine and non toxic as are many other plants.

If its 50k gallons, I would get your water tested. You never know whats in your water till you do. Remember water attracts both prey and predators. If its not fenced in, it could become the new local chicken bowl....

As far as the water going stagnate with that size I would doubt it but you could still use something to stir the water or create some type of movement. Moving water is alive, still water dies essentially. (Don't jump on me people that was a generalization) A single water pump float in the middle would suffice I think. It's to put oxygen into the water. I assume you have fish in it. What types? Your birds will love it and I doubt they will drown unless it has a sudden drop in it.

Bubba

Love this post! I was thinking about putting in a small garden pond (with a pump, waterfall, filter) and making a shallow piece on one end where the chickens could drink and/or splash if they want to. I was wondering if the water would be safe for them to drink. Our water's not chlorinated, so I wouldn't have to use that chlorine remover stuff for the fish, which would probably either be cheap goldfish or maybe mosquito fish.
What do elephant ears do that is harmful to chickens? Would they poison the water, or is it just that the chickens shouldn't eat them?
We used to have a small garden pond at our old house, and I miss it a lot!

Hi Bubba, I'd like to know why EE's growing in the pond would make the water be toxic to chickens.
" ...Make sure there is NO Elephant Ears in it...

....They can be gorgeous plants, just don't use them in water you want your animals to drink...."

On what basis do you make those statements?

Thanks,
Lisa

OMG! I'm so used to EE meaning Easter Eggers, that that's what I said in my head when I read that last post. I'm thinking, why would any one have Easter Eggers in their pond?!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom