fish tank air pump to stop water from freezing

Chad the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Belleville, WI
Im getting back in to chicken but this time with a smaller coop. its going to be a 3x5 hen house. but since its going to be so small im really think about saving as much room as possiable. i use to just set my 3 gallon waterer on a "cookie tin container" that you would get a chrismas time. but now with the smaller coop i think im going to use a 3" pvc pipe with a nipple on the end. now comes the hard part of keeping it from freezing. I was thinking about maybe using a fish tank air pump to keep the water moving, but i wonder if the nipple would freeze up. also i was wondering if you could use a fish tank water heater but put it on a thermal cube outlet so it only runs when its freezing temp outside. I wish they just make a small tank heater that turns on at 34 degrees and off at 40 degrees. Any help would be great. pictures too please.
Thanks
Chad the Chicken Man

I tried taking one of those fish tank bubblers and running a line with one of those little green things on the end that makes all those little bubbles in your fish tank to just an open crock of water that I had in a rabbit cage... It still froze solid
sad.png
I did only trie it one year, so maybe I just had bad luck
idunno.gif

Yeah if i did the air hose i was just going to get a really large fish tank bubbler and not put a green thingy on it. i think the one big bubble coming out of the hose would be more aggresive to keep the water moving. I dont know though. thanks for your imput hopefully there somone else out there who has tried this as well.

You're welcome. I hope so too. If you do try it, please post back at this thread (because I subscribed) or PM me to let me know because I am very interested in knowing how it goes but I don't always keep up on all the new posts here on BYC.

I use a bird bath heater. It comes on at 43 degrees, turns off at 58 degrees. Durably built.
Allied Precision Deluxe Bird Bath Heater and De-icer

. It seems to be available many places.

Chris

I used to winter over koi in a pond in a pond and can tell you for a fact the bubbler will only keep a small area around the bubbles open but will freeze solid 2 inches away and thats with a bubbler made for ponds that is much bigger than for a fish tank. I'm in western Ky and it freezes , I really doubt it would work past thanksgiving in wisconsin

Hey Chad did you ever try the aquarium air pump? I also used 3" pvc with nipple on end. I used an aquarium heater but still froze solid in zero degree weather. Wonder if the air bubbles in conjunction with the heater would do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom