1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fisher Cat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 1ADAM12, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Fischers are evil devils with a scream like someone is murdering a baby.
    Bloodcurdling.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes they are! Had one move into the "barn" for a week last year. Was going to shoot it as my boy was coming that weekend and is usually fearless chasing animals. Well he heard the low long guttural growl of the Fisher when we walked by and stayed far from the barn all weekend.

BTW, no birds were taken by that or family of raccoon that came by last week or the pack of coyote that swings by every now and then...coop closed at night and a fence that any of those animals could climb over in day time. Odd how those primarily night predators never took a bird here in two years of having them. One run is a 6 ft chain link huge old dog kennel and other run is 4 ft electric poultry netting. Not one loss and everything from weasel to bear. Coop door closed every night[​IMG]

If I leave an egg on the coop over night it's eaten by morning. Yup, plenty of predators that easily get into the run.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. Millworker26

Millworker26 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    SE PA
    Nah. I'm sure your wife has better things for you to do with your time than capture the wildlife, which is a guaranteed outcome. If your system ain't broke then there's nothing to fix.

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, Pennsylvania seems to be the new fisher hot spot. They released them in the northern areas including the Poconos and now they have expanded southward. [​IMG]

5. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2016
    Just awesome lol I just baited traps. Put them on wood line. Will let you all know tomorrow. My luck I will get skunks.

6. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    So I set a bigger trap and a smaller one. The smaller one was tripped with nothing inside. The larger one was untouched. We did hear the same noise as the previous night though. Not sure what this critter is up too!!

7. Millworker26

Jun 25, 2016
    SE PA
    Was the bait removed from the smaller trap?

Is your large trap large enough to capture a fisher? Aren't they fairly long animals, 3+ ft. In length?

8. 1ADAM12

Jun 18, 2016
    I am not sure of the size. Someone said they are like a large cat size. The bait in both traps was not disturbed.

9. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]They are like giant nasty weasels.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  10. Millworker26

Jun 25, 2016
    SE PA
    Assuming you are using cage traps? Found a Best Practices document for fisher trapping, recommended cage trap size is cited at 32" x 10" x 12.75". The animal is very long, but 1/3 of body length is tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by