fisher cat

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Well I've been missing a few chickens these last few weeks alone with a couple of baby ducks , I was thinking it was a hark or maybe a possum , yesterday I also found about a doz. of my turkey eggs outside of the 6' high fence pen ........so I set up a few traps come to find out today when I went to feed one of the traps had a Fisher Cat init not ever seeing one so I did a search on the net and seen what I have in my trap.

Now what can I do with it and I was wondering if there are any more around , I’m going to reset the other traps today and see what else is out there .

I'm getting tried of losing my birds to wildlife , I try to Predator
Proof the bottoms of the pens with wire and use only 6’ high chain link fence , the tops are cover with deer netting or chicken wire , but my coops and runs are close to the woods on my property , so I guessing I will never be 100% predator proof . They always find a spot to get in.

Most of the pens / runs are cover in but some of the middles are hard to get cover due to some large oak tree's ,
the duck aviary is almost covered up but about 10' x 10' square is not finish yet, out of the 50'ft. X 18' ft X 14' high duck aviary
Looks like I'll have to finish the aviary tomorrow for sure.

yep keeping the traps set for sure -N- I’ll be buying another one too.

MMMMMMM
roll.png
Has anyone keep a fisher cat in a chain link dog run , I know there wild and protected species , but back in the 1940's they raise them for the fur not saying that’s what I want but just to study them and there behavior they look like my ferrets which I know there a lot meaner but I just love all animals and would love to keep and study them for my own personal use .

I have raise baby raccoons which I release back to the wild once they got to big for my apartment , I once have 2 baby grey squirrels which I raise in my home and one day after a while not having my home as squirrel proof I let the roam free for free of the house and one chew a electric wire from a lamp and guess what ....yep he was .........proof ...
hmm.png
..........dead and the other one well he chew the window screen
roll.png
and well he when back to his home my nature .........that’s what happens in the city but now living in the country well I do have plenty of space and land outside to build large enough cages , but I now most states you need a permit to keep wild life and exotic pets or animals…….. , I use to have a city permit but not a state permit to keep exotic pets and reptiles when I had my pet shop by in the early -n- mid. 90”s , but it been years since I had my pet shop and now I just raise and keep farm animals and stray wild pets that are injured and then release them ,but when it comes to kill my farm animals and eggs well I like to catch and study them………….. then release them else where they can eat nor threaded my live stock ………then just kill them ………………………cuz there doing what they do in the wild life nature as they where born to do is survive………………………………..

UPDATE ..................
cool.png
..................MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM 2 fisher cat - 4 coons and 3 possiums and 1 eastern box turtule caugth in the traps so far .................................loses are far as chickens -turkeys -and ducks and rabbits NONE .........................Trap set each and ever day .......................only the turtle as had his freedom set free in my care the rest well .........I've be EATTING REALLY REALLY GOOOD
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I don't believe that fisher are a protected species but a regulated one in that you need a license and there are specific seasons during which you can take them.

Trapping and hunting regulations vary by state and even then there may be permitted ways to take them out of season and without a license.

Last edited:
Did you just say you've been eating FISHER CATS??? Seriously? I've never heard of that before! I knew a guy who had a GORGEOUS leather arrow quiver totally lined on the outside by the fur of a fisher, head and claws and tail and all. I used to pet it when I'd shoot with him, glad the bastid was dead. (He never did say what he did with what came inside that skin, come to think of it...) Of all the predators in my area, they're still the only ones that make my blood run cold when I see or hear them.

Also, I'm a little surprised that you managed to trap two fishers. Any idea what sex they were? Our local game warden guy once assured me that if I have one fisher (which I do), I only have one fisher, because they're so nasty they don't like to be anywhere near another one unless it's mating season. Maybe one fisher per square mile. I guess he didn't know much about his local wildlife (or the law... he was arrested recently for all sorts of bad behavior).

BTW, fishers climb really well. A six-foot chain link fence is nothing to them. Bloody beasts hunt from the trees as well as the ground. Hate them.

Quote:
That box turtle was your pest the whole time! They've been known to eat all the chickens out of a coop in one night then slowly make their get away into the night.

Hi all -
we've take a chain link dog pen (8x10x10) and wrapped the bottom and top with chicken wire with a 2' apron outside on the ground. Does anyone know if a fisher cat can get through the holes in the chain link? Should we wrap the whole pen in chicken wire? The girls are outside during the day time, but in a VERY secure coop (rubbermaid tool shed) at night. Do you think we've covered it, or do we need to worry about fisher cats during the day time?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom