Fishy smell only when eggs are cooked??

jenfred75

Chirping
Feb 2, 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Since it got cold, my hens starting laying eggs that have a fishy smell. I collect the eggs each day and I put them in the fridge because the eggs are cold when I get them. When I crack the raw egg, there is no smell, but when I cook them, they smell like fish. I had increased their protein, because they were molting, and I was giving them extra greens. Since the eggs starting smelling, I went back to their regular food and took away the extra greens. Any idea on how to fix this? I can’t eat the eggs when they smell this way.

Since it got cold, my hens starting laying eggs that have a fishy smell. I collect the eggs each day and I put them in the fridge because the eggs are cold when I get them. When I crack the raw egg, there is no smell, but when I cook them, they smell like fish. I had increased their protein, because they were molting, and I was giving them extra greens. Since the eggs starting smelling, I went back to their regular food and took away the extra greens. Any idea on how to fix this? I can’t eat the eggs when they smell this way.
Maybe clean the pan of the fish last night, before cooking breakfast?:gig I'm kidding

What was in the extra protein you were feeding them?
542B781F-E3A3-4975-B9A3-0D3A00CE9726.png
It’s a local brand. They usually have the 16%, which is what I have switched them back to. I would just like to eat their eggs too.

try fermenting the feed before giving it to them. you make up a mash with pellets + water and leave it at room temp for a couple of days until little bubbles form. it helps make their digestion more complete. you can add a little plain yoghurt to it too to get it going. i don't know about how it might influence the egg flavour but it's definitely reduced the smell in the coop here by 50%.

Back
Top Bottom