Fishy smelling egg

What do you feed? I have noticed in my hens that different foods and treats change scent and flavor of eggs.
Do you by any chance use feed that is high in omega 3? That is usually produced from marine plants and fish. When I feed it some of my eggs have a faint fishy smell to them, but are usually overpowered by the herbs I feed. Try feeding some parsley and see if that neutralizes the smell, if not there may be something else going on.

Last edited:
I remember my parents complaining of fishy eggs because in the UK the birds feed had a massive fish solid content

I don't know if it's safe to eat, but do you really want to? I would feed it to the dogs or something. Do all her eggs smell fishy or was that the first one?

I've had the same problem. In doing research, it's a genetic defect in a brown egg laying hen that causes the "fishy" smell and taste. It's called trimethylamine and it's when the hen ingests, canola, flaxseed or rapeseed. Choline chloride which is in most feed will not produce the fishy smell.(or at least diminish it) . I give my dogs the fishy eggs and they don't seem to mind. :) Rhode Island Reds and Barred Plymouth Rocks may have tis defect.

I've got the same problem! I was feeding Layena Plus with added Omega 3 and flaxseed, which I've read can cause it. Most of my eggs taste great, but usually 2 out of 5 are NASTY! Thoughts?

All veterinary students remember the class they had to take in agriculture that involved feeding hens certain food substances that resulted in strange tasting eggs. Garlic and onion come to mind, so I can imagine adding fishoil to increase omega 3 in eggs could cause a fishy odor.

dragon16 has also noted a genetic problem that is being researched.

I'd contact Purina and let them know of your problem and see what they say.

I don't feed anything other than whole milo seed and whole oats. My girls free range in my large yard and we only have this problem well into the growing season. I have been getting 100% lay from them for some time before the fishy smell/taste started, and after the growing season, the fishy smell disappears. They are eating whatever bug they catch, including crickets and the grasshoppers that are like a plague about now. Thank you for having researched this and having an alternate explanation to the 'onion/garlic/fish' feeding that never applied! I can confirm at this point that it is only a brown shell that is fishy. Maybe I'll be glad I took pity on those poor pecked White Leghorn chicks last spring in that tiny tub in the feed store!

Back
Top Bottom