Five month old Rooster Flogging

happychic

Chirping
Sep 14, 2010
Tennessee
My five month old Partridge Rock flogged my friends children yesterday. I have kids, we have kids over pretty regularly and have never had a problem before. The first time it happened was to a ten year old boy. He wasn't bothering McNugget or the hens, but he was completely dressed in red. Maybe I should have made him change before going outside, but we have never had the slightest bit of trouble out of McNugget before and it didn't occur to me until later. The boy got scratched but no serious damage since the roo doesn't have spurs yet. So, we had the ten year old boy change clothes and all seemed well until just before dusk. Now my friend's little 19 month old daughter is carried crying into the house all scratched up in just a matter of seconds. Fifteen minutes later he flies up behind my friends other daughter who is eight. He didn't get her, just scared her. I tried to intimidate him and it seemed to work a little because he choked on a crow, but like I said, he's never tried anything on me or my kids before. Any advice please? Is this a phase or is this something that is going to last? I will not tolerate a mean rooster, I just want to make an informed decision before jumping the gun. Literally. Thanks.

This is McNugget about two weeks ago.

At 5 months old he is just going through puberty so this sudden change is very likely a sign of things to come.

I would not let him in the yard with kids. Everytime he attacks and they run it reinforces for him he is above them in the pecking order and so in a way is teaching him he can do this.

He could also do some damage just with his claws and you don't want that risk.

Last edited:
If he is attacking children, he has to go. He could seriously injure them and it's a HUGE liability risk for you. I would not let my kids go to someone's house who had a mean rooster.

I agree. He is free range and there is no catching him to pen him up today. The older kids have been told to not run, but scare him off (with the broom if neccessary). The younger obviously won't be allowed near him now that he has begun acting this way. He has until tonight to learn or to be disposed of. I love my chicky's, but this won't be tolerated.

Just wanted to post an update. I am very happy to say that since his chastisement with the bristle end of a broom McNugget appears to be a reformed bird. He thought about causing trouble once or twice, but a look at the broom changed his mind. It appears to have been a phase. He needed to be put in his place. We have had friends over several times and no issues. I'm keeping an eye on him, of course, but peace seems to have been restored. So very grateful for the advice from all.

Back
Top Bottom