"Fixed" dog is in heat!

when my dog was in for her yearly shots the vet grabbed her female parts.. gently squeezed them and and was muttering to himself and he could tall she was spayed from grabbing her whoha... they would also be able to tell with an ultrasound

Quote:
You are looking at 15 days at least.

You better add 6 more days to that estimate. A dog's heat cycle is 21 days. They are usually receptive to males beginning around the 12th day but this is not always the case. You need to keep on your guard for the next 3 weeks, minimum.

It's possible she has retained ovarian tissue. The best way to determine this is with an exploratory surgery, it is easiest to find that tissue when they are showing active signs of heat.There are also other reasons that you could see blood- urinary tract infection, and other less likely things. Good luck! Get her into the vet asap.

Quote:
If her whoha is her vulva, they cannot tell by the vulva.

To the OP, what signs are making it look like she is in heat?

LOL SO why would he have muttered it.. kinda under his breath... it was weird... he was not or normal vet.. he was new to the clinic.. a few minutes later the tech came in with Abbys file... and I had noticed that when we got the puppies their vulva was larger then their OLDER sisters who was spayed.. and they are the same breed and the puppies are a lot smaller then their older sister... .. hmmmm strange people ...

The "look" of the vulva is sometimes tell-tale in dogs. Your Vet wasn't completely wrong. The vulva of early-spayed female dogs is usually underdeveloped and small, sometimes even so tiny as to seem inverted into the pelvic area (especially when the dog is a bit over weight). But for a dog that was spayed after a heat cycle or two it gets harder to tell. The very best indication of a spay is a record of the surgery.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. Everything's closed around here until Saturday (vet-wise). As far as the signs, here goes: a week prior, she's been increasingly wander-prone and neglecting all her training. Underfoot, on our beds and furniture, much more hyper. Now, sudden fascination with every dog in the neighborhood, constant licking, strong odor (not infection odor either), no fever, begging to go out all the time, restless, and the bloody drips. Did I mention the total fascination to tear off after every dog in the neighborhood?

My sister gave me a tip: take a pair of the kids dark colored underwear, cut a slit for tail, apply a heavy duty feminine pad, put it on the dog and diaper pin the waistband snug at the top of back. Works, but talk about the pitiful look from the dog!

Quote:
Oh gosh.. My dog Chloe has not been spayed yet. We have never had a surprise pregnancy, but she can get pretty creative when let outside during a heat. Thank god no accidents yet! We've bred her once, and plan on spaying her sometime soon. Guess we just have to put up with the 21 days of annoying behaviour/messes everywhere every 6-8 months.

My male fixed dog, Koda, will hump her like there is no tomorrow. He will LOCK with her. She gets pretty excited. Maybe he is what holds her over. I can't begin to explain how embarrassing it is to catch our dogs locked butt to butt in the front yard with kids getting off the school bus.
gig.gif

Yep. She will be fixed once we get enough money to do it.

yep, seven days coming in, seven days in and seven days going out, and then they can become pg(going out)
i raised bostons for a few years, then frenchies

Quote:
You are looking at 15 days at least.

You better add 6 more days to that estimate. A dog's heat cycle is 21 days. They are usually receptive to males beginning around the 12th day but this is not always the case. You need to keep on your guard for the next 3 weeks, minimum.

Back
Top Bottom