Fixing Broody Behavior

Dawnclucks22

Crowing
May 28, 2017
Naboo
I have a hen that's been broody for awhile. Unfortunately we only have one nest because of our small flock so my other hens have resorted to laying in random places. Sometimes I place the waterer outside and close the coop until dusk when I open it again, but my broody girl just fluffs up, spreads her wings, and waddles around until I open it when she rushes right back in.
This isn't the only time this has happened but this time she's being far more stubborn. She doesn't care where/what she's sitting on - it's almost like he just likes being broody. What do you guys think? Do you have any advice? Thanks :)

You will need to put her in a wire bottomed crate slightly elevated off the ground for 3-7 days depending on how long she's been broody. Provide food and water and a roost. Leave her in it continuously for 3 days before checking by letting her out. If she returns to the nest check again on day 5. The quicker you break them the quicker it goes.

Just be aware that, as you said, some hens like to be broody. I have an Orpington that might lay 10 eggs, then go broody. My bantam wyandottes - 6 weeks, then they are broody for at least 6 weeks - rinse and repeat, all spring, summer, autumn long! Breaking her won't stop her trying again. You may have to provide an alternative nestbox for when this situation arises such as one of those enclosed cat litter boxes. It could be out in the run - just put some fake eggs/golf balls in there and it will soon be the favourite place to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom