Fixing feathers on rescues

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
So yesterday I got a few leghorn chickens that were in an egg farm. They looked awful and the owner was giving some away. They all have broken feathers and worn out feathers . can I pluck the feathers out or is there something else I can do?

Attachments

• DiplomatOct2013-0054.jpg
    DiplomatOct2013-0054.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
I dont have much experience but...u dont need to pluck theur feathers. Just feed them good with some vitamins and minerals. Feeding yoghurt or curd twice a week will also make then resistant to diseases also giving them nutrition.

Just wait then they will moult amd regrow..and fix the problem my themself

Good luck :)

Best not to pluck them. Increase their protein and wait until their next moult. I would feed an unmedicated grower of 18%+ and free choice oyster shell, you can supplement more protein with eggs, meat, cat food, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sprouted grains and feeder insects - silkworms contain high protein and less fat unlike the more popular mealworm, which is high in protein but full in fat.

The thing is 90% of chickens where I live don't molt . in winter its very cold and summer is very good weather not that hot. What causes them not to molt. Also I never had a chicken molt for the past 10 years I have had chicken

All fowl molt. If you notice it is more a function of when and how fast it happens.
They will have to drop the damaged feathers and regrow new ones. Your birds are probably debeaked so preening doesn't happen like a normal chicken . The feathers will never look as nice as the rest of your birds. Hopefully you've checked them over for mites. They don't know how to dust bathe but give them a nice fluffy pan of wood ash and dirt to learn in. .
They will also have trouble picking up feed. You will need to experiment with the size and shape of the feed as well as the feeder. Initially they will not touch the treats and extras you offer. Not something they have seen and they are weary of changes.

The thing is 90% of chickens where I live don't molt . in winter its very cold and summer is very good weather not that hot. What causes them not to molt. Also I never had a chicken molt for the past 10 years I have had chicken
Molting has nothing to do with temperature. It's triggered by light exposure. And all chickens molt, eventually.
To regrow in all those feathers, they need protein. A starter/grower feed would be best for them. And limit the treats for now, what they really need is a balanced diet. And those are red sexlinks, not Leghorns. Their combs and earlobes are very pale, which is mostly a symptom of anemia. Treat them for worms, ASAP.

Molting has nothing to do with temperature. It's triggered by light exposure. And all chickens molt, eventually.
To regrow in all those feathers, they need protein. A starter/grower feed would be best for them. And limit the treats for now, what they really need is a balanced diet. And those are red sexlinks, not Leghorns. Their combs and earlobes are very pale, which is mostly a symptom of anemia. Treat them for worms, ASAP.
I said those are not mine . just a pic to show you

Back
Top Bottom