Fixing Up a Pre-Fab Coop

@rbnk1 - can you link me to the sand you buy at Home Depot? My searches aren't showing they stock anything but play sand.

Another question re: ventilation. I've read that ventilation shouldn't be direct, yes? Ie. it should be higher up so when months are colder wind isn't blowing directly on the birds?

Another question re: ventilation. I've read that ventilation shouldn't be direct, yes? Ie. it should be higher up so when months are colder wind isn't blowing directly on the birds?

Ideally it should be higher up but that can be difficult with smaller coops. Part of the reason I suggested opening up the wall that's inside is because the roof should help protect that area quite well, not only keeping rain out but also to buffer winds.

A few inches is enough to keep their feet happy?
Well, I wouldn't count on it.

Aprons would be a better bet:
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
If rodents are prolific, burying the apron ~12" would be good.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

I buried 1/2 inch HC and covered with 6 inches of dirt. Yes, occasionally they dig down to the wire but no hurt feet. I've seen rodent tunnels under the wire occasionally, but the chickens are always kicking the dirt around so they get filled in quickly (no evidence that rodents breached the run or coop so far). The wire that comes with the pre fab coops is not the sturdiest. I would suggest replacing that with a stronger gauge or reinforcing it with a heavy gauge 1" x 2" wire at least. I would not trust plastic latches: raccoons have opposable thumbs and strong teeth. Use metal latches with carabiners. Your climate is quite mild so I would concentrate on keeping them adequately ventilated and protected from hot sun and rain. Best of luck with your little flock.

I think rosemarythyme gave the best overall answers and aart has very good links about aprons. I have a similar sized coop and I'd definitely recommended a max of three standard-sized hens.

Also, be aware that the combination of dogs and chickens can be fatal. Do some reading on that subject.

Finally, I'm not sure about those plastic latches. Don't have a good feel for how well they would protect the coop, but even more importantly, I'd bet that they would weaken and eventually become easy to break when exposed to the elements.

Thanks all! Don't worry, adding an internal coop roost today and will be buying some sturdier (read: non plastic) locks this week.

And I didn't realize you were suggesting removing an inner wall @rosemarythyme, makes total sense now.

Someone local has handraised two 7 month old hens and has to move into an apartment, so hoping to pick those ladies up this weekend. We might add a third, but I'm also OK starting with two.

And re: dogs...yes, I've done extensive reading. We have a 13 year old Boston Terrier who's mostly blind and deaf. She doesn't spend much time in the yard off the porch, and even if she did, she'd run like hell from a chicken.

Sounds good. While you are looking at a roost, try to get something wider than 2". 3" or 4" wide side up is best. Be sure to round the corners to be easier on their feet.

If/when you add an additional hen, read up on introducing new birds to an established flock. There is a right and wrong way to handle it.

Sounds good. While you are looking at a roost, try to get something wider than 2". 3" or 4" wide side up is best. Be sure to round the corners to be easier on their feet.

If/when you add an additional hen, read up on introducing new birds to an established flock. There is a right and wrong way to handle it.

Absolutely, won't do anything without research since I'm new to everything! ;)

Back
Top Bottom