Flaky skin on chickens

RBchicks89

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2022
Hi guys!
I have a mixed flock of chickens that are showing some skin issues. My serama rooster has developed an "ashy" looking face, like dry skin. Two of my show girls have large areas of peeling dry skin on their necks (where they are naturally bare anyway).

Everyone seems healthy, I've treated for mites (DE, poultry defense) and haven't seen anything when I've deep cleaned their coop. I've been putting Vaseline on the dry areas of their skin.

I've read up on scaly face mites and Favus..should I try to treat for both just in case? They are all molting now as well so I thought it might be related, but I've had chickens for a few years and have never noticed this before.
Thanks in advance!

If you switch to coconut oil to treat this flaky skin, you will be covering all the bases. Coconut oil will smother any skin parasites while countering any fungal issue.

If you are in the northern hemisphere, your chickens may be starting molt. This can result in the skin conditions you're seeing.

Keep an eye on the skin around the feather follicles. If you see crusting and red irritation around the base of the feathers, they might have depluming mites. The only thing that combats that is Ivermectin.

Back
Top Bottom