Flap Over Chicken Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jenkassai, Oct 23, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    OMG my coop is so close to being ready I can TASTE it!!!! My husband put the pop door in yesterday. I plan on letting the girls out whenever they want during the winter, just open the door in the morning before work, unless it is REALLY nasty out. I started thinking about the winters here (NE OH), and wondered about putting a clear vinyl/ plastic flap on the inside of the coop over the pop door opening, to help keep wind out and warmth in (we're not heating the coop [​IMG] ). Will the chickens go through that flap to get out and to come back in??? Anyone else have a set up like that, that works for them?

Thx!

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Hi from SE Ohio! I don't have a flap but thought about it, as we are on top of a hill and the wind hits us hard. I did see someone else here with a flap but there's was cloth and mostly to keep wild birds out of the feed inside the coop. I saw it on the coop pages. Good luck.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol i was thinkin about the same thing.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    The flap may scare them. I wouldn't put anything over the door. It can get pretty cold here where I live, -10 to -20 in the winter, but I've never put anything on the door. Just make sure you have alot of deep pine shavings in the coop, so they can stay warmer. Hope this helps.

5. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    i put a flap on mine
    2 layers cut opposite slits in it
    they get used to it after a couple days
    i used a clear vinyl shower curtain from the dollar store
    something thicker would work better though
    havent found anything thicker that clear just yet

6. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:Re: the deep pine shavings. I've been reading where some people use straw for them to burrow into? Do they sleep in that? I guess I was wondering if it is really cold do they sleep in the shavings/straw rather than on the roost? I was planning on the shavings, but we usually use straw for our dog houses (Akitas - they loooove the cold!!) and the dogs love it. I wasn't sure if straw would be better insulation than the shavings? Although I've heard it can get nasty if it gets wet, and I have seen that firsthand, but that is when the dogs dig it out of their house and spread it around outside [​IMG]

7. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    i definetly want to know if they would use it. I notice alot of air/wind coming thru mine too.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    how about the cut strips vinyl door. Might freak the girls out or what they get used to.

9. momma of a chicken lover

momma of a chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by