Flapping roo, what does it mean?

smile.png
real glad this topic came up. we have a rooster that flaps his wings,,,, and he makes like weird growling sounds. hes very kind and super ultra protective of his ladies. they all follow him like hes a "god" or something.
lau.gif

i talk to him every time we make contact. i want him to know hes safe and i am not here to do harm to his "ladies".
funny tho, he will dash across our yard if a ladie is wondering off,,, as if to check on them. hes got quite a few "ladies to look after".
he must sleep well after a hard days work!!
gig.gif

p.s. thanks for the thread topic!
frow.gif

We have a BIG Orpington splash roo. If he isn't 12 pounds he's not an ounce. I had to catch him the other day and I could not put my hand around his neck and I'm a pretty big guy. He has gotten into the act of challenging / even attacking on occasion, and it's touch and go with him now. He won't bother my wife, only me. The other day, I went in the pen with slippers to check waters etc. I had my back to him and he came across my left foot like someone stealing home in a major league game, spurs and all, and was gone. I left the pen, changed into my "coop boots" and went right back in like nothing happened. He's big, and stupid. I caught him from the corner of my eye coming again, and just as he was sliding home I give him a boot. Not a big one, but enough to set him back a few feet, then I give him a run for his money and chased him around for a few minutes. Cornered him a coupla times, then chased him some more. He knew by then who was in charge. Don't think I'm mean to him, I just give him a little constructive criticism. He's a great roo, very protective of his girls. I know of 2 fights he's been in with whatever and seen lots of blood, lost spurs, and feathers NOT of any of his girls, so, I just want him to know who's boss. I feed him by hand treats etc, so,,,,,,,he ain't that mad at me.

So can I assume that my silkie rooster flapping his wings is harmless showing off. He did attack last weekend but the person he went after stooped down to him. I now know that was his mistake

So can I assume that my silkie rooster flapping his wings is harmless showing off. He did attack last weekend but the person he went after stooped down to him. I now know that was his mistake
Be careful blaming the person who 'stooped' down as the reason for attack. Dominant roosters must be put in their place. They should not be expected to attack if a person does this or that. They should be expected to behave themselves or they go in the soup pot.

My 80 year old grandmother told me when she was a child a cousin of hers about the same age (maybe 8-9) was attacked by a rooster. Cut up her face and body really bad. Yes, this was a child and yes children are shorter than adults but let's not ever forget they could do some serious damage. I don't believe you should beat roosters etc but you don't treat them like friends either. Assert your dominance however you can. Roosters don't hear kind words and think like we do. They understand dominance and weakness. I like what a previous poster said about making her rooster get out of the pen while she's in there.

Hello everyone, I am quite new to raising chickens, but I am horseman, so most of my days, I deal with male animals that have more than 10x my size, I am not a fan of hurting animals, and I believe no one here is, we all animal lovers... But, I have this idea that to discipline animals, we have to same times behave like they species. Like jafo said, I think it becames the best option, of showing your roo's a little bit of what happens when u mess with the boss in the coop. I had a small roo that I saved from dying, never had a problem with him, in terms of kidness he is the sweetheart in my coop better than my hens, I can grab him without a problem, touch him, go to him etc etc, he will be the first one coming to my direction at feed time. Due to his size, and me preferring big chickens, I bought 2months ago, a bigger and younger roo, the first day I putted him in the coop there was no major problem, he wasn't near my hens neither the other roo. After a couple of days, of settling in his new environment, I putted him with all my hens and the other roo, and then I saw I had a problem, the flapping of the wings was the first thing I saw, 1st I thought it was just a show off to the hens, after a while, where he vigourily did his jobs, and had a chat with all the hens, he tried to attack the small roo, I wasn't happy with that behaviour, so I pushed both a away, they both understood and went opposite directions. My small roo went outside the coop to eat and walk, the big roo stood in front of me, crowing and flapping his wings suddenly he charged me, so I behaved like one of the species pushed him away and then chased him out of the coop, and a little bit more, until I saw he was tired and he gave up! Never again, I had problems with him, I can go inside my coop, with them inside and it is up to them to go or stay in,somedays they stay next to me somedays, they know it is feed time, so they go out to wait for they feed ;) problem solved in 1-2min no violance, just a little run and a pushoff! Nice thread

Last edited:
This is one of the threads that went way of in right field long ago. Behavior described by OP in the 5-month old cockerel is a display of submission, not aggression. Such behavior is most evident by young roosters in the immediate vicinity of an aggressive elder. The flapping you do associate with aggression usually involves a popping sound with a funny walk as tail is held spread out and often precedes a bout of crowing.

EEk, is there any alternative to hitting him? In general I'm just not a fan of physical discipline for animals...
There is no reason to ever hit an animal. If you move confidently and aren't intimidated he'll stop soon enough. Just picking him up will usually remind him who's in charge but in extreme cases a prompt squirt with a spray bottle might be needed.

But based on your description's, I too am wondering if the behavior isn't actually submissive.

Last edited:
Remember that it's always a good idea to protect your face and especially your eyes around an adolescent roo.

As for who made the "mistake", legally speaking it was you. We run an animal rescue and have had (adult) visitors here behave like complete idiots with the animals, I used to be uncomfortable speaking to adults like they are ignorant toddlers until I got sued by the parents of a drunk 17 year old with no riding experience who broke 3 ribs when he was thrown by an unbroken Mustang that he tired to ride (bareback!!!). Our insurance paid the idiot $250,000.

So....always make sure your visitors understand what is (and isn't) acceptable before they have contact with your animals.

T
Be careful blaming the person who 'stooped' down as the reason for attack. Dominant roosters must be put in their place. They should not be expected to attack if a person does this or that. They should be expected to behave themselves or they go in the soup pot. 

My 80 year old grandmother told me when she was a child a cousin of hers about the same age (maybe 8-9) was attacked by a rooster. Cut up her face and body really bad. Yes, this was a child and yes children are shorter than adults but let's not ever forget they could do some serious damage. I don't believe you should beat roosters etc but you don't treat them like friends either. Assert your dominance however you can. Roosters don't hear kind words and think like we do. They understand dominance and weakness.  I like what a previous poster said about making her rooster get out of the pen while she's in there. 

Back
Top Bottom