Flash freeze prediction tonight... Do I heat? or not?

Thank you @WindingRoad & @centrarchid. Ok that was my gut feeling on this too...but I second guessed myself... I definitely don't want to make them weak, or unable to cope... and I hadn't thought about the power going out... VERY good point. I was just worried with a near 60* drop in temp within just a few hours... that had me concerned... And with one not feeling well too... :( I've seen them when I go out at night, with their little noses tucked in under wings... that makes sense.

I've got a brandy new coop... just built last April, it's pretty sturdy with a tin roof - but i will DEFINITELY watch for any build up of ice/snow on the roof... The ventilation is really good, and under the eves... beneath the overhang of the roof on one side. Great points from you both, thank you!
Also check for condensation on the walls and ceiling. NO WET WALLS or CEILINGS.

Draft free, well ventilated (dry) coop is most important.

You are right to be thoughtful about such a sudden drop in temp. It is akin to birds having a heat source which goes off (breaks or power outage) and they have to deal with temps they are unaccustomed to.

However, your birds will only have these low temps for a day or two- certainly not usual low temps for your area in any year! Because they have a draft free, ventilated coop to use, they will be ok if you do not turn on the heat.

Since you have the heater, you also should not feel bad about using it for this extreme cold snap -you are not likely to lose power, and if you did, they would not have been accustomed to it yet. Using it just makes their coop a little warmer for them.

Birds CAN withstand pretty low temps, but a sudden 50degree drop in temp is fairly extreme!

Either way you go (heat or no heat), your birds will likely be fine.

Thank you @Acre4Me - I agree, the drastic, sudden drop would be like having the power go out for them if I DID use a heater... and it did have me concerned for sure! But you're right - it won't stay this way for long, especially here at the Jersey Shore! I think I'll keep the heat off... but... I may put it on... hehe... only when I'm out there cleaning!!!!! :yesss:

But my coop's draft free & has real good ventilation... and the humidity stays low. I have Australorps & Reds... regular size combs - but made a salve to protect their little combs from frostbite... which I will apply on them later today!

Oh... wait... I'm not sure I understand about the heated water bowl? it's bad? I have the heated water bowl is about 15 feet from the coop's exterior chicken door - out in the run? Is that still bad? My humidity reader says my coop's moisture levels are low... and I never see it go over the outside humidity levels... it's super dry in side.
You are then OK on water bowl.

Humidity is going to get high in your coop as temperature drops. You will have condensate. The trick is to keep the condensate below levels that saturate feathers on your chickens. If feathers saturated, the birds will have serious trouble staying warm which leads to frostbite.

I have a lot of birds out side and they would have to ride out an event like you have coming with very little protection. I also have birds with varying degrees of protection with some that are essentially in closed coops. It is the more closed up birds that are most problematic as the temperature drops. The exposed birds I simply protect from direct wind and direct precipitation. Do not be surprised to find ice on your birds tomorrow morning.

You are then OK on water bowl.

Humidity is going to get high in your coop as temperature drops. You will have condensate. The trick is to keep the condensate below levels that saturate feathers on your chickens. If feathers saturated, the birds will have serious trouble staying warm which leads to frostbite.

I have a lot of birds out side and they would have to ride out an event like you have coming with very little protection. I also have birds with varying degrees of protection with some that are essentially in closed coops. It is the more closed up birds that are most problematic as the temperature drops. The exposed birds I simply protect from direct wind and direct precipitation. Do not be surprised to find ice on your birds tomorrow morning.
Ice on your birds choud you elaborate on that. We've had several nights here in Maine at -20F. I check combs at first light. Cool but not frozen or wet on my BO or ISABrown. 2 SLW. no problems either. Might be that their combs are pretty much non existent.

I sometimes see ice formation of saddle and streamers of tail. Moisture condenses directly onto those surfaces as they are cold and well insulated from heat that comes from body core. Ice forming on exposed tissues I have never seen except with pictures on internet.

My birds exposed to -10 F with wind are fighting thermal stress that is at least as tough as those fighting -20 F with coop and buddies to snuggle against. It is the airflow that makes a lot of difference. My -10 F is real minus 10 F, while the coop is usually quite bit warmer than outside.

I have yet to experience a drop from 49 F with high humidity to -11 F overnight. A remember teaching an animal science class where we spent time discussing such an event that killed 100's of cattle in the Dakotas or a neighboring state. Wild life can also take a hit from the weather. It is not something to be taken lightly.

I sometimes see ice formation of saddle and streamers of tail. Moisture condenses directly onto those surfaces as they are cold and well insulated from heat that comes from body core. Ice forming on exposed tissues I have never seen except with pictures on internet.

My birds exposed to -10 F with wind are fighting thermal stress that is at least as tough as those fighting -20 F with coop and buddies to snuggle against. It is the airflow that makes a lot of difference. My -10 F is real minus 10 F, while the coop is usually quite bit warmer than outside.
I have a prefab coop I know BOOO HIIIISSS.. I have wrapped the lower part where the fencing is with a clear tarp I got from Amazon. Makes it nice and cozy on sunny days. And I just happened to have ( i.e. as in not planned) it where it gets sun most of the day. So that keeps out a lot of the wind. Today I went out at 0800 and it was 4F. Birds were up and squawking for breakfast. One SLW egg still warm, very warm that down jacket was working over time last night it was colder than 4F overnight. Albeit not much wind. This storm is turning into a dud. I put out fresh water up in the coop at about 0830 I just went out now at 1230 and the water was mostly consumed but had some ice crystals around the edge. I use a pint ice cream container because I am retired and home most to the time. And this fits right in the corner and is hard for them to tip over. At the present time I can't get into the run due to snow build up. Tomorrow when the guy comes to snow blow I will have him clear it out. I have a 20 lb feeder in the run that is full I can get a peek at it. During these colder ( without sunshine) my birds hand around up in the coop they can go downstairs if they want the door is open.

I have yet to experience a drop from 49 F with high humidity to -11 F overnight. A remember teaching an animal science class where we spent time discussing such an event that killed 100's of cattle in the Dakotas or a neighboring state. Wild life can also take a hit from the weather. It is not something to be taken lightly.
Have you actually been in a cow barn. When we cleaned stalls and fed we didn't wear coats it was too hot in there. And it was cold outside. We did have to crack the ice in their water bowls. My Sister and BIL raised heifers, pigs, chickens, sheep and lambs. Lambs are born in March-April. It can still be quite cold then. Right now it is 8F out side with 63% humidity. That's part of the reason we here in Maine don't notice the cold so much. Until today I have been going out with my slippers (sling backs even) and no socks. Just to change water and gather eggs. I'm out there for about 5 minutes and have lived to tell about it. Remember we snow mobile all winter and ski.

I'm at the NJ shore with unpredictable January weather. It's my first winter with chickens.
My gut says stay natural, they'll be fine in the cold... until now. AT the moment, it's a humid 49* F outside (late morning)... But the Gov declared a State of Emergency, because of the winter weather coming in this afternoon. "Flash Freezing" (which i've NEVER heard of before) is predicted, which will drop the temps in a few short hours - to a VERY unusual -11 degrees... which they're not going to be use to!!!

I've got 10 month old hens, one of which is being treated for an infection. I installed a Cozy Coop radiant heat panel on the wall - this past Fall. I researched it, and it was ranked the safest, lowest, fire risk coop heater out there and had good reviews. I've never used it because I'd rather the girls learn to adapt on their own, but this type of drastic, sudden temperature change may be just too much for them?

My question is - Which is better:
1. Would it be better to put the heater on low - all night - and through this unusual bitter cold spell?
-OR-
2. Just put it on, warm it up for them... or maybe put it on a timer... to go on/off every few hours to keep the bitter chill a bit more balanced for them?

I've got good ventilation, and little or no drafts. I also have a little battery temperature & humidity level thermostat in the coop - so I can easily keep track of the humidity - which seems to stay pretty low (so no frost bite chance - I hope).

This is - again my first winter and if it weren't for my husband... they'd ALL be inside where it's safe and warm... but I can't do that... haha... Any ideas?

TIC do you know that meteorology is the only profession where one can be wrong 75% of the time and still keep the job. Another quick suggestion Stop looking at the thermometer.:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I have a prefab coop I know BOOO HIIIISSS.. I have wrapped the lower part where the fencing is with a clear tarp I got from Amazon. Makes it nice and cozy on sunny days. And I just happened to have ( i.e. as in not planned) it where it gets sun most of the day. So that keeps out a lot of the wind. Today I went out at 0800 and it was 4F. Birds were up and squawking for breakfast. One SLW egg still warm, very warm that down jacket was working over time last night it was colder than 4F overnight. Albeit not much wind. This storm is turning into a dud. I put out fresh water up in the coop at about 0830 I just went out now at 1230 and the water was mostly consumed but had some ice crystals around the edge. I use a pint ice cream container because I am retired and home most to the time. And this fits right in the corner and is hard for them to tip over. At the present time I can't get into the run due to snow build up. Tomorrow when the guy comes to snow blow I will have him clear it out. I have a 20 lb feeder in the run that is full I can get a peek at it. During these colder ( without sunshine) my birds hand around up in the coop they can go downstairs if they want the door is open.

I got that clear tarp on Amazon too... and i like it a lot... it lets the sun through and keeps the winds from whipping into our coop's covered run. I have bales of straw around the base of the coop, which is lifted 18" off the ground, so the girls can go underneath in bad weather too, and get out of the elements.

I grew up in NE, but live at the Jersey Shore now... and don't have that kind of snow... nor usually those temps. But being a NE girl myself, I have to kinda laugh at the drama... when someone sees a snow flake... or even HEARS there might be snow predicted... it's insanity & total mayhem! To me... it's... "Winter!"

I'm a stay home Mom & thankfully have the luxury of time (you know all the free time the Stay-at-home Mom's have -just to lay around and eat bon-bon)... haha... But I'm blessed to be able to do so... and, love to be out checking on the chickies.

I wish you luck getting into the run, and hope your snowblower guy comes soon! We got a few inches of snow the other day, and my little drama queens were FREAKING out... flying too and fro... they didn't want to put their feet in the cold snow... lol... I put straw out onto the snow in the back run, and they were appeased... My little princesses... haha

Back
Top Bottom