Flat Lay Photography for Beginners

Pics

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
Flat Lay photography is exactly what is sounds like, you may have even taken a flat lay photograph before and didn’t realize that’s what you were doing!
A flat lay photo is simply a photo of objects arranged on a flat surface, captured from directly above.
We thought it would be nice to break down the basic steps for those who are new to the idea of flat lay photography!

photo-1585333602841-e8ac7265d869.jpg

Composition

Composition is key! The core of a flay lay photograph will be how you lay out your items. Even if you’re looking for a simple and clean appearance with a lot of white space, how you place your props will bring everything together. Have fun with it! Bring along more props than you think you’ll need, swap things in and out, and move them around until you’re happy with the end result!

photo-1457301547464-91995555cd25.jpg

Color Palette

Color can really make your flat lay photograph pop! Whether you’re looking for a cool or warm feel, color is everything! Take a look at a color wheel and see what colors and tones compliment each other.

photo-1603021607842-8c376c9effb6.jpg

Color-Study.gif

SHOOT FROM ABOVE

Last but certainly not least, shoot your picture from above! A very slight angle can still make for great flat lay photo but your goal is flat. Now get out there and take some pictures!!

Last edited:
Beautiful photos! You should consider this for one of those article contests? Perhaps discuss some techniques for egg photography, and even how it can benefit egg sellers with a unique product view.

These are fantastic ideas!! :clap We're hoping to incorporate flat lay photography in the very near future for some BYC fun!

Gosh I’ve never even HEARD of flat lay photography, but it’s definitely something I’ll be doing! I love photography even if I’m not the worlds greatest at it! This is something that I know my phone camera roll will be full of very soon ;)

I LOVE seeing your pictures and I can't wait to see what you do with flat lay as well! :love

Back
Top Bottom