flat worm or tape worm in egg?

annefarris

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
This is the second one of these "worms" I have found in eggs. It is a flat shaped "worm". The previous one was a little more "developed", with a definite head on it. This one looks decapitated. I have looked online and only see reference to and photos of roundworms in eggs. Has anyone found anything like this worm formation in their eggs or can you tell me what it is and what to do? Will try to insert a photo...haven't posted before.

101240_p1040268.jpg

Last edited:
After finding these worms in the eggs, I've looked online and haven't found any other reference to finding this kind of tape worm in an egg. Has anyone heard of this before? Also, is it a no-no to let chickens drink pond water that has goldfish in it?
I know this is belated but I was just googling worms in eggs today because I wanted to find out if this was true and figured I'd answer this so others who may google and find this will know.

I would put out fresh water for them daily or every other day. Don't let them drink pond water period fish or not. They can get worms from unclean water.

No one has answered, but, I will.....

DE does not worm chickens. I know people on here claim they use DE to worm lots of different animals. But, until I see a study that proves differently, I would not jeopardize my hen's health or waste my money.

Are you saying you found the worm INSIDE the egg? What are we looking at in the photos besides the tapeworm?
You need to purchase Valbazen (albendazole), a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. You can purchase it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Valbazen kills tapeworms and all other known worms that chickens get. It is administered orally. Use a syringe without needle to dose your chickens. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. I highly recommend that you worm ALL your chickens with valbazen. You must redose them again in 10-14 days after the initial worming to kill larva hatched from eggs after the initial dosing. Dont eat the eggs for 28 days grand total, toss the eggs in the garbage.

Yes, this (and one similar a while back) was inside the egg when I cracked it, in the white part. I fished it out with a spoon and put it on a dark brown paper napkin. That's what's in the photo, the white worm-thing on a dark wet spot made by part of the egg white on the brown napkin. Have you seen or heard of this kind of worm in an egg before? I will get the wormer and get going on that.

Here's some tapes like you're seeing, only smaller. There are many types of tapeworms. The one in your eggs are common in chickens. But like I stated, I've never seen one in an egg.

Back
Top Bottom