Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hellafarms, Nov 24, 2009.

1. hellafarms

hellafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Just thought I would share my catch I dont really like to brag but this was such a cool fishing trip this was our third big catch of the week and by far the biggest he weighed 45.5lbs the others weighed 22.5lbs and 18 lbs sorry the pic is so bad all we had was a disposable cam.
    [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Nice one! One of my sons likes to set lines for them.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Nice! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I just bought some cat fish..i cant wait to fry it up!

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    oh wow. What kind of rig do you use to catch the big cats like that? When I was a kid I used to use milk jugs and braided 50# line before the DNR pointed out to me (i was 8 i think) that that was illegal.... Sigh..... I just loved fried cats... [​IMG]

5. hellafarms

hellafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I caught this one on lines at lake northfork we fished for 2 days would get up before dark check the lines we set the night before fish for bait most all day long then bait again that evening and did not catch one thing.On day 3 we caught the first one 18lbs and a few smaller ones( just barley keepers)then on day 4 (the last day) the first line we checked we had a 22.5lb and we didnt think it could get any better.So on the last line we though we had a huge turtle on but when we seen it come to the top we knew had a cat so at that point I was shaking so hard i could not hold the net still but after what seemed like 2 hrs later(was probably only five min really) we wresled it into the boat it was 46.5LBS the most awesome fishing trip I was ever envolved in.We later had a fish fry fed about 25 people and had flathead catfish to eat for a long time.We caught these using perch we caught and all three big ones we caught in fairly shallow water about 3rd or forth hook out on the line.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    That's awesome!!! Congrats!

7. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Holy smokes! You got a frying pan big enough for that thing?

Congrats, it's quite impressive!

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    [​IMG] Geez that thing looks like a sturgeon!

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well aint that somethin! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by