Flattening hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rpchris, Oct 20, 2011.

1. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Anyone have any tips for flattening hardware cloth, especially those last few feet on a roll. I'm tired of tearing up my hands and arms when this stuff rolls back up on itself.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Can you laying out on the ground so that the hc hump upwards, and then stand on the stuff to flatten the curve. Next grab the end that is the most rolled. Then pull back on the hc bending it in the opposite direction of the current curve. It's kind of hard to explain. I hope this is a little bit of help.

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

justbugged - you beat me to it. Just as justbugged said is the easiest way I know how.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I found when I was working on my run that a flat board or a 2x4 was good at flattening. I always like to fold under my edges so no one gets speared, and that worked well with the 2x4.

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Use a couple of boards (2x4) sorta like a rolling pin.

Wear thick gloves and long sleeves.

6. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:X2

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:X2

After many gashes on my legs from snap backs, long pants, thick gloves and long sleeves [​IMG]

8. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

I just get one edge started, and keep plavcing it flat untill i get to other end. As I place nails to hold it down i can keep it taught

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I walk on it to flatten it, too. I just let the edge dig into the grass and unroll a bit, then flatten it by walking on it. After you get a larger section flattened, you can unroll a little more at a time. If I pick it up and it's not perfectly flat, I lay it back down and walk on it some more.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I cut my sheets to size and turned them the other way and rolled them back up the other way and they got flatter. No fun the stuff cut me up on the wrists, forearm and hands pretty good. I ended up using rawhide gloves to work in. Good luck. Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by