1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flax seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 17, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I found a 5 gallon bucket of flax seed in the barn when I was cleaning out some stuff. It is good I sprouted some. Would it be a good treat for the girls?

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Supposedly adding flax seed to the layers' diet will increase the Omega-3 in their eggs. I mix some with my feed for that reason but never sure how much or whether it is doing any good. Bottom line: they will eat it and it can't hurt them.

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    cool thats all I needed to know.

4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
  5. wpchicks

wpchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Maybe it's just me but it seems that a simpler way to increase your omega-3's
    would be to just eat the flax yourself rather than getting it second hand through an egg.

I put ground flax in smoothies, breads, oatmeal, whatever you want really.

But if the chicken's themselves require omega-3's ???????? then I think that would be the
    only logical reason to add flax.

6. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I have read on BYC that too much flax can cause eggs to have a weird taste...something to think about.

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    If you do feed or eat flaxseed make sure you grind it. Otherwise you will get NO benefit from it. I feed it to my horses and it has helped with there immune system. If you have chickens that need a boost to there immune system I'd suggest some flaxseed. Especially during molt. Just a thought.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Chickens' gizzards do a sufficient job grinding up the flaxseed. Not necessary and, probably a bit wasteful, to do it for them.

9. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Flax seed is not only good for them it also is very good for healthy plumage, making their feathers vibrant, shiny and full of color. We feed flax to all of our horses as well as our chickens. Puts a shine on our horses like nothing else can! [​IMG]

10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I know it also helps promote healthy hoof growth in horses so it would make sense that it would promote good feather growth in chickens. Good for healthy skin too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by