Flea control--what do you use?

I use Fronline on the dog, and Advantage on the cats.

Frontline doesn't do jack for fleas on my cats, and my vet said the same thing. They sell me big doggy Advantage already separated out in mini syringes for my cats.
Advantage doesn't kill ticks, and my dog does occasionally pick up ticks when we go out in the woods, so we stick with the Frontline on her to avoid buying 2 products. We do not use K9Advantix because of Permethrin, which I think is the bad thing in BioSpot and Hartz products as well.

I'm a bit afraid of Comfortis, because not much is known about it yet.
http://www.medi-vet.com/prod-Comfortis__Spinosad__For_Dogs__10_1_20_lbs__6_Month__Orange-3764.aspx
"Phospholipidosis (vacuolation) of the lymphoid tissue was seen in all dogs treated with COMFORTIS chewable tablets, the long-term effects of which are unknown." Concerns me, it just seems like they don't really know much about it yet since it's so new. My dog is not going to be an unofficial test subject.

I also feed my dog brewers yeast and garlic tablets every day. Some people swear this is all they do and that the garlic works, but I'm not brave enough to quit the Frontline. I do however, only apply "as needed" and a 3pack box usually lasts all season. Since I have a large dog, I already buy the Purple box so there's no savings for me to buy in bulk and dose it out myself.

Quote:
What type pill or a powder. And how much.
I use 20 Mule Team Borax(like you wash clothes with) in the house. Sprinkle it on the floors and furniture leave for little while then vacuum
Piecemaker

I use a teaspoon of powdered garlic and just sprinkle it over their food. During spring and summer I put it on their food 2 times a week. Have used it since I was a kid raising hunting dogs with my dad.

When you guys are talking about garlic powder on your dog and cat food, does that include chickens? Is it just the garlic powder in your cabinet or something else?
Im new to chickens and dont want fleas, mites or lice. What is the best prevention for all the above? I have a new coop and sand run with 9 week old chicks.

Quote:
It is garlic powder from my cubboard. I use it on cat and dog food. I guess it works for chicken too because my chickens got my garlic I was growing and never had fleas mites or anything on them.

You can buy a tub of garlic from the feed store also pretty darn cheep. I tried it for the horses, they wouldn't touch feed with it added, but I had one dog that would lick it off the hay.... must have had Italian blood in him lol

I buy Frontline Plus through a vendor in Australia...best price I found even reasonable shipping, get it as fast or faster than anyone here in the US. Frontline Plus 6 pack 45-88 pounds 41.95 + 7.00 shipping - a good buy!

I use frontline and am not too happy with it. i have a mastiff and I give him two of the largest packets and he still has fleas. Same with the pit bull. i was thinking of switching to the K9 advantix. But I could probably try the garlic or the DE

i use frontline on everyone, 16 dogs and no fleas, i get the xlarge dog ones and break it down for my little guys, it pays to be a former vet tech and a nurse!
wee.gif

Just a reminder, don't forget to treat the yard and the house. You will never get a flea problem under control by just medicating the animal. You've gotta hit the environment!

Quote:
What type pill or a powder. And how much.
I use 20 Mule Team Borax(like you wash clothes with) in the house. Sprinkle it on the floors and furniture leave for little while then vacuum
Piecemaker

I use a teaspoon of powdered garlic and just sprinkle it over their food. During spring and summer I put it on their food 2 times a week. Have used it since I was a kid raising hunting dogs with my dad.

I have very small dogs 2 1/2 and 5 pounds So like an 1/8 of a teaspoon maybe for them.?? I also use the frontline spray not the once a month stuff And like the results
piecemaker

Back
Top Bottom