Flea Market Encounter with Chick Seller-ARGH!!

Spec, too bad some idiot had to be there selling chicks. I got my first roo at a flea market (well kept, believe it or not!) and the guy told me it was a Barray Rockay (proununciation) and it was a french breed, LOL . Didn't know till I came to BYC that he was full of poo!
There's alot of sadness in the world, esp when it comes to helpless animals. I tend to avoid it, I tend to dwell on it for weeks. I focus on my pets having good lives.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see really well-kept birds at that flea market. These same guys are the ones with the scrawny, filthy dog chained outside in 0 degree weather with frozen water and no food. Pretty low class, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Well, since we are sharing horror stories, here's mine:
Since I'm new, I have been reading like mad to perfect my chicken keeping abilities.
I went to TSC to check out new babies. None caught my fancy (was really looking for silkies or polish) anywho, went on to another nameless farm supply. Big sign says "chick days" so I travel on in. Now, I live in central Florida, and it is in the 70-80s during the day, but it has been windy. Well, right outside the door, just before I walk in, are 3 large metal, um boxes? stacked on top of each other. Each looks like a side of swiss cheese, tons of small vertical holes. The bottom box was empty, the middle had a handful of ducklings, and the top had about 50 baby chicks. It was "heated" by a small appliance bulb, and covered with 2 small metal sheets. The clerk came up to me as I attempted to lift the lid to see in at the little ones, and told me I wasn't allowed to lift the lid, as they will get chilled. What?!?!! Like the massive breeze blowing from all 4 sides wouldn't do that??? Then I said I would like to see them, as I may be interested, he said to look through the slats to see them. ???? Lets just say I hit the road running. Those poor babies!!! I wanted to cry!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Up here TSC doesn't sell live chicks int he store. They take an order from you and get them in batches and no one ever sees the chicks in the store.

I haven't seen a place with live chicks that wasn't someone's little farm up here at all. I do know Va has a law that says you have to buy at least 6 at a time or rather they are supposed to sell in quantities of 6. It is to discourage impulse buying. It is this reason I believe they don't have bunches of chicks in bins and I like that just fine.

greed does really horrid things to people. the really dumb thing is that there isn't much money in selling chicks and bunnies - it's pretty minimal!
too bad he couldn't think of something else (more profitable) to sell for easter that DOESN'T need heat, food, water etc.

the world if full of know-it-all dimwits who just don't care.
thank goodness for the good folks (like Cyn) who know and act better!

Back
Top Bottom