Fleas On Chickens - Just Found My First Flea

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nifty-Chicken, May 1, 2007.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

BLAH... I hate these things! I've never seen a flea on a chicken, but today I went out to take them off the nesting box (two are broody) and when I came inside I had a pinkish/yellowish translucent flea on my wrist. I'm only use to seeing the dark ones (from when we use to have a dog).

I'm hoping this was just a one off situation and not the beginning of an infestation. Not sure if I'm going to do anything about it, but I should probably start with some DE, etc. and go from there.

So are there any differences between fleas on chickens and those on dogs?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

A flea?? Jeesh!!! Are you sure it wasnt a mite or lice? I didnt think fleas were that color. UGH! BUGS!! THIS is why I like winter!!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

hmm... that color. Are you sure it was a flea? Not a feather louse?

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    A feather louse? [​IMG]
    I only heard of mites ( and memorized [​IMG] a picture so I can ID one if I see one).
    Now there are feather louses...err lice, that I need to know about? yucky
    What in the world do they look like??!! Oh, wait, let me guess pinkish/yellowish translucent fleas ? [​IMG]

5. Nifty-Chicken

Well, I put it in the sink to kill it under water (since I couldnt' squish it). The wife pulled the drain before I could take a pic.

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Ok, I have to ask...WHY couldn't you squish it? [​IMG]

7. Nifty-Chicken

They aren't easy to squish.... the little buggers are really tough. Only way I can do it is between two really hard items and then there's a chance they will spring out of sight. I never take the chance and just put them in water to drown.

8. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
  9. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Quote:If they are like fleas and ticks, they don't drown easy...you have to 'break' their shell as is were...I have no mercy for fleas or ticks...I make sure they are dead before I drown them! [​IMG]

Thanks for the link, 2mnypets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by