Fleas!!!

I agree...I really wouldn't use dish soap on the ducks, just dogs or cats.
I simply cannot find the shampoo recipe. I practically demolished my bookshelf, trying frantically to find that one memo pad where I scribbled down the recipe...no luck. But I did find a file on my computer with a flea spray recipe WITHOUT dish soap.
1 cup vinegar (white distilled vinegar, or apple cider vinegar)
1 quart fresh water
2-3 drops lavender oil (optional)
spray bottle
I tried this on my dog, and it worked, but it took a while.
You could just put some vinegar in their bathing water, as long as you can ascertain it's safe for them. It's safe for dogs to drink.
I think diluted lemon juice also worked.
So I would definitely try that spray, as long as I could be sure it was safe.

Flea treatment for the house. Get a box or two of borax and pour it all over the carpets and crevices and baseboards and use a broom to really rub it in. For upholstery, you can use hand brush and work down into the gaps. Remember, boric acid can discolor fabrics. So, test it before you apply this remedy. Don’t forget to sprinkle below the furniture.

Let it sit for a few hours or overnight if possible. Overnight is best but you need to keep the critters off of the treatment area. Borax kills any larvae and eggs in the carpet and crevices by drying them up. Vacuum up and make sure to throw the bag out if you aren't using a bagless. you don't want the fleas to hatch in the bag and crawl back out.

Wash all bedding and blankets with hot hot water and add white vinegar to the wash.

Wash any non birds in Dawn dishwashing liquid to kill any adult fleas on the animals.

The ducks won't actually get fleas like a dog or a cat. One might hop on but because of the way their feathers and down are the fleas can't get through to take up residence. So you don't have to worry about an infestation. You can keep fleas out of their bedding by mixing in lavender. If you have a lavender bush just cut whole stems and then chop them up in to on inch pieces and mix into the straw or shavings. You can also use Rosemary and Thyme sprigs sprinkled in the bedding. Peppermint can also be used. Fresh is great or dried but I like the fresh stuff and my ducks nibble on it and get minty fresh duck breath. I put pots of these herbs all around my yard to help repel fleas. Bruising the leaves lets off a nice aromatic scent that fleas don't like.

Eucalyptus oil can be used around pet areas to drive away fleas. Don't put on the pets just put a few drops on a cotton ball and place around where they sleep or place inside the pet bed liner through the zipper.

The treatment of the Advantage on the cats will help immensely and eventually all of the fleas will die. The above methods just help hasten their demise.

Be careful using anything with Boric Acid as I think it might contain arsenic. When in doubt, google the name of the product you want to use and "MSDS" (material data safety sheet).

http://www.unexco.com/boric-op.pdf

-Kathy

Edited to add: just skimmed thru and it has trace amounts of arsenic.

Last edited:
We used natural repellant on horses after they were "bathed" with no soap. The majority was apple cider vinegar, some oil of citronella, and Skin So Soft. The SSS just allows the vinegar to adhere to the coat better, and it was healthy.

Back
Top Bottom