1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fleas!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Last weekend I noticed that my kitties were practically COVERED i the nasty things. They've since been given some Advantage, so hopefully that'll take care of the problem on them, but since they can't bite them anymore they've sort of had a mass exodus onto myself and the birds. I have never even heard of ducks having a flea problem, but just this evening I found one on Wobbles! It was sitting on top of his feathers so at least it wasn't up close on his skin, but for all I know, they both have fleas. I haven't the foggiest how to fix this. They get a bath daily, but between their thick down and waterproofing I don't know if that'd even make a dent if they did have fleas living on their bodies. What should I do?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I found the product Flea Busters a few years ago when we had a sudden infestation. I think the fleas are in the carpet and cracks at the base of the walls where they meet the floor. It worked for us.

http://www.fleabusters.com

3. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    And you're sure it won't harm the duckies? Golly, it sure is expensive, too...oh, dear. I'm living off savings at the moment since Hils left me with no job and no money. But I don't think I have much choice, do I? I can't let the birds get bitten!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please call the company and check with them.

I would not expect what you place at the wall-floor intersection to be something they could get into. It doesn't produce fumes.

If you apply it to the carpet according to instructions, I don't think any could get on the ducks.

You do want them out of the area you are treating - it is dusty - and wear a mask.

But please talk to the manufacturer to be sure. It is a tough spot to be in. But it lasts for at least a year.

5. elly21

elly21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    You can try diatomaceous earth. It shouldn't hurt them at all as they add it into livestock feed. We've been using it on our dogs because I don't like to use chemicals. You can purchase it at Tractor Supply.

6. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    For dogs, I find that apple cider vinegar works like magic. Used it once on our dog and never had a problem again. Not sure about ducks though.

7. elly21

elly21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    Do you just bathe them in it? I give the dogs a bath with dawn dish soap and then use the diatomaceous earth on them after they have dried off.

8. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I don't bath them in plain apple cider vinegar; I have a homemade shampoo recipe somewhere (don't remember where, but it has glycerin, dish soap, apple cider vinegar, and maybe one other ingredient) which I bath her with every few months. You can also put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water, but we didn't try that. I think I also tried mixing apple cider vinegar, water, and some essential oil in a squirt bottle and spraying her with it 3 times a day. That worked, but it took longer before the fleas were gone (a week?).

The chemical flea killers actually are often poisonous for the dog. It's absurd - they say to smother your dog with it but not touch it yourself because it's so poisonous. That's why I prefer natural stuff.

Edit: Plain vinegar works too.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Hmm, I like the shampoo idea. Could you rack your brain for what that final ingredient is? And I know someone said not to bother with baking soda and vacuuming, but I really don't want to put anything down that could harm the birds if they ate it. And you know they would - they eat EVERYTHING.

10. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wouldn't the dish soap in the shampoo remove the duck's natural oils too. I would think that would cause some problems for the ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by