1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fleas!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by evitachu, Feb 27, 2016.

1. evitachu

evitachu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Okay, I am freaking out. The chick babies are in the laundry room. I found this stupid thing on the floor in the laundry room. We have no dog, no cat. The only one that has been exposed to outside was my 5-week old leghorn TJ, but she was out under my supervision and outside is definitely clean.
    [​IMG]
    But I have inspected her and she is clean. I have inspected everyone, all clean I wonder if this is a hitchhiker? Should I be worried? Flea is not so common i chickens, I read. But just as a precaution, what should I do? Both my neighbours have many dogs.

I have swept clean the laundry room floor with Lysol and as a prevention, I sprayed mite & lice spray for baby bird last night. So far only 2-3 that I found in a span of a week. This morning: nothing. Not even one tiny spider. I am going to check the chickens outside but I think they are clean. I clean them every day, I should know if there is any stupid pests.
    I will update shortly.

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Queen of The Coop Premium Member

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I use sevin dust and DE, it works. I have never had fleas on my chickens though. Had them on cats, and i always put DE on them, it works for my cats. Once my broody hen had mites so i sprinkled her with DE. Its safe for chickens. I have the food grade diatomaceous earth. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by