1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FLeas

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicks rule, Jun 13, 2007.

1. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    I have a new puppy who even though I bath regularly still picks up fleas, I am assuming he picks them up when I take him out to do his business
    Is there anything I can use outside for the fleas that wont harm the chickens. Thanks for any help.

2. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    If you're asking about the puppy I would use Advantage. It costs a little $$$ but it's worth it. And it just stays with the pup, no danger to your birds.

3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Dust your dog all over with Diatomacious earth. Dust your chickens with it too. Sprinkle it all over your yard and in your flowerbeds. You can use it indoors too if you have a bad problem; leave it down for a few days and then vacuum it up. Must be food grade DE.

4. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks, but I have been unable to find that in my area, SW MO, Is Advantage the best, and he is only about 3#'s right now

5. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Advantage is what I use on my 3# six-mo. old chihuahua. Use DE everywhere else.

6. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks, I had tried the Hartz brand, but it doesn't seem to work. I need to do a search for the DE, where do you all get yours. I don't think anyone in my area has ever heard of it???

7. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
  8. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks for the link, Arklady, where are you located in AR? I have talked to you in chat before but don't remember where you are located.

9. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I am located near Greenwood Arkansas.

Arklady

10. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    That is about an hour and a half from me, kool. Thanks again for the link gonna go check it out now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by