Fleas??

AbbyTravers

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
HI!
I have some chickens that I free range. They are all very healthy and funny. But I just discovered these pesky bugs in my coop. They are in the corner where I store my feed. I don't know if they are pnats or fleas. I didn't see them on my girls or any where else in that coop. They like to bite at my calves and ankles. But any way I put DE and poultry protecter on the spot where they were. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?? (by the way Im from Kansas and It usally doesn't rain a lot, but I has been non stop raining here. didn't know if that info would be helpful!) Thanks. Any advice would be great.

HI!
I have some chickens that I free range. They are all very healthy and funny. But I just discovered these pesky bugs in my coop. They are in the corner where I store my feed. I don't know if they are pnats or fleas. I didn't see them on my girls or any where else in that coop. They like to bite at my calves and ankles. But any way I put DE and poultry protecter on the spot where they were. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?? (by the way Im from Kansas and It usally doesn't rain a lot, but I has been non stop raining here. didn't know if that info would be helpful!) Thanks. Any advice would be great.

What do the bugs look like? How do they move - are they jumping or flying or climbing? Knowing a bit more about the bug will help narrow what kind of bug they are - which will have a lot to do with the appropriate approach to eliminating them.

What do the bugs look like? How do they move - are they jumping or flying or climbing? Knowing a bit more about the bug will help narrow what kind of bug they are - which will have a lot to do with the appropriate approach to eliminating them.

Well they are small, green, and a little bit shiny. They fly and bite a lot on my legs. Im worried about them spreading. Any suggestions?

Today we deep cleaned the coop. We vacuumed the corners of the coop and sprayed everything with bleach water. After that we dusted with DE powder and let everything air out. New shavings and cleaned coop. I didn't see any bugs today in the coop like I did yesterday. But today there was a lot of mosquitoes!

Back
Top Bottom