Flew into a window

HouseCat

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Northern Michigan still-house
Yesterday my cousin stopped by with his little dog (some kind of terrier). The little dog was chasing my little OEGB rooster around the yard when the roo flew up and straight into my kitchen window. After that, he fell straight down, ran into some bushes, and collapsed. I immediately ran over and picked him up. He was lethargic, panting heavily, and his comb/wattles/face were the deepest shade of purple I have ever seen. I held him for a few hours, thinking he was in shock and just needed to settle down. When I finally set him down, he was still unsteady on his feet but he seemed to perk up quite a bit. I put him on his roost and hoped he would be back to himself by morning.
This morning when I went out there, he was running around with the other roos, crowing and being a typical rooster. I picked him up to give him a final once-over and everything seemed fine. However, when he went to jump down from my hand and flutter to the ground, he didn't flutter. His wings just kind of opened and when he fell but there was no "flap". His face has brightened and he appears more steady on his feet but maybe a little weak?
Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? Are there any rehab exercises or secret recipes I should try to get his strength back?

This is what I do for my chicks when they are uneasy and need a bit of a boost, but you can add a teaspoon of sugar per gallon of his water, and he should perk up a little. If you need vitamins, I know spinach is great in many different ones, K especially. Another one that would be good for him would be to give him some garlic. If he doesn't eat it plain, chop it up and put it in his water.
I hope this helps!

I diced up one clove and mixed it up with 2 crushed blackberries because he wouldn't eat it plain. He ate about 2/3 of the garlic clove before he quit. I figured that it was pretty good for a 24oz bantie roo. We'll see what the morning brings...

He may have given himself brain trauma that will need time to heal and recover from. If you ran into a pole while jogging, when you feel better you'll probably not try to go immeadiately do gymnastics that need a fair bit of balance, he'll most likely get better in time.
smile.png

Bring the poor fellow into the house and give him time to heal from his trauma. No flying / roosting or other gymnastics till he feels better......You can give him high energy foods ie: mealworms, eggs etc.. vitamin water like save a chick and TLC.....
P.S. watch out for the doggies... LOL

He seems to be getting better by the day. His comb and wattles are brightening and his ear-splitting crow is back. I wish I could bring him inside but he gets separation anxiety when I take him away from his flock. He ate another 1/2 clove of garlic tonight mixed in with 2 diced strawberries. That should be enough.
Thanks again everyone for all your help and insight.

Back
Top Bottom