Flex Seal waterproofing exterior nest box?

has anyone used liquid rubber, liquid rubber and bio-fabric, or flex seal to help waterproof their exterior nest boxes?
Won't likely help if water is getting into nests....but hard to say.
Please post pics of your coop and nests for more viable suggestions.

I am just finishing up the coop and have noticed that apparently exterior nest boxes often leak so was trying to problem solve before any problems occured. Disregard the windows they are not finished:)

Here is a picture of the nest boxes. I am trying to figure out how to weather seal the hinge area (the lid)
63E2A7B3-27D7-4221-91C4-C0F66F4459BA.jpeg
and was wondering what other people have done. I’ve seen someone on here use the plastic from shower and tub liners, but I saw this liquid rubber and thought it might be used with bio-fabric to create a weather tight rubber flap that’s flexible and could go under the metal roof I will be using for the lid and under the trim I’ve put on above the nest box.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the nest boxes.
Is that piece of white trim not attached yet?
It doesn't look flush with wall.

Best bet, really, is to have nest access on the back rather than the top, then have a large over hang on nest top...and caulk all around it and adjacent trim so water doesn't run down wall and behind trim.

but I saw this liquid rubber and thought it might be used with bio-fabric to create a weather tight rubber flap that’s flexible and could go under the metal roof I will be using for the lid and under the trim I’ve put on above the nest box.
This might work well, but I'd get a piece of EDPM rubber(pond liner or flat roofing material) instead of making your own.
Your weather is fairly mild(google tells me 40-70°F) so I doubt cold would play into rubber flexibility.

No the trim isn’t attached yet. The nest box itself will have metal roofing on it, and the trim isn’t attached yet. The pond liner is a good idea. I can’t add on more roofing as an over hang unfortunately. The summers here can get to 80 and can get to below freezing for a few weeks every winter. We mostly get rain though. We often have rhododendrons blooming all winter. I just wanted to have something that’s good in both hot and cold that’s water proof under the join. I think the pond rubber is a fabulous idea.

I can tell you that a flex seal type material won't hold up well if your freezing temps include wet conditions. It'll degrade a bit over time with lots of sun as well.

We used it on an old door to seal it before using for shade so it's not as critical for us but that has been our experience with time. It requires a bit of maintenance.

I can tell you that a flex seal type material won't hold up well if your freezing temps include wet conditions. It'll degrade a bit over time with lots of sun as well.

We used it on an old door to seal it before using for shade so it's not as critical for us but that has been our experience with time. It requires a bit of maintenance.
Everything requires some maintenance. However I used flex seal to seal the inside of a metal flower planter so it wouldn't rust. Going on 3rd summer and it sits outside all winter in my cold and snowy climate. Lots of hot sun in summer. It looks as good as the day I did it.
Granted on wood may be a different story. Will see as I used it too seal the whole outside of my coop. It's not up and running yet though.

Everything requires some maintenance. However I used flex seal to seal the inside of a metal flower planter so it wouldn't rust. Going on 3rd summer and it sits outside all winter in my cold and snowy climate. Lots of hot sun in summer. It looks as good as the day I did it.
Granted on wood may be a different story. Will see as I used it too seal the whole outside of my coop. It's not up and running yet though.

Yes that's true. I'm curious how it works out if you've used it on your coop. I like the idea! I'm in AZ and the sun here is absolutely brutal so we may have different results I suppose.

However I used flex seal to seal the inside of a metal flower planter so it wouldn't rust. Going on 3rd summer and it sits outside all winter in my cold and snowy climate. Lots of hot sun in summer.
Sun not hitting it directly could make a big difference.
Curious if you've emptied pot to check it's condition?

Back
Top Bottom