FLIES: Has anybody tried this?

Not exactly attractive...

19d29b03-1.jpg

Before i poured some of this one off to make new ones it was so full the flies went up around the sides of the inverted, funnel like opening. You have to start out with much less water because rain will raise the level.

f541d48a-1.jpg

This one was made about two days ago.

And to counter all that ick....

853e42c9-1.jpg

Awww

frow.gif

SoCalChick, so you have 40 of these??? I need something like this, I have 7 horses, but all my neighbors raise cattle, so fly predators wouldnt work. I go thru a ton of fly spray on the horses every year, it cant be good for them. Do any stores carry them or do I have to order online?
HATE FLIES!!!
somad.gif

I don't think the catcher i made would work for "horseflies" as they eat fresh blood and nectar.

All the manure and rotting material eating varieties would definitely be attracted.

I don't see why one couldn't make the same sort of trap with nectar to attract the male horse flies to lower populations though.
hmm.png

I've tried these fly bags but it seemed to me that it attracted flies to the area.
hu.gif
They didn't fill up too fast at my place (two bags all summer and they weren't even full). I decided this year to compost and throw some DE on it. Anyone try that approach yet?

Quote:
If you put DE in your compost, it would kill all the beneficial bugs in there to make the compost or am I wrong on this?

I have tried the soda bottle traps last year with several different bait ideas, but none really worked for me. I have also ordered fly predators last year and followed the directions, but I had a feeling that ants just loved all the larvae.
So far the cheap $ 4 Home Depot fly trap bags have worked the best for me and of course to clean up well after my chickens.

If the "Military fly trap" stinks that bad, it is not for me. The neighbors probably would think it is my chickens and so far I have been very proud that there is no bad smell.

Muscovies we have them at work with the chickens hardly any flies and I am constantly battling flies at home, don't have room for the ducks, I use the fly traps and spray and keep picked up. Think I will try the vanilla air fresheners though.

If you all REALLY want a solution, get a commercail fly sprayer. We have one for the horse barn and use it OFTEN. It is especially nice to have when the farrier or vet comes out. No nasty flies and it takes about 10 minutes in a closed barn to get the deed done.

After we use the sprayer, we turn a LARGE fan on for the people working on the minis.

We most always get a compliment and a lower price for the visit because we do this in preperation for our professionals.

The cost is not as much as you would think and if you have horses in the barn it will pay for itself in fly spray and pour on.

GG.

Back
Top Bottom