Flies in Chicken Coop

Barry Natchitoches

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Tennessee
The chicken coop used to just be fenced in, but I've attached temporary plywood walls to the hurricane fencing to help protect my gals during the winter. I've also put flurescent lighting in the coop.

Problem is, where the flies used to be able to fly right out of the hurricane fencing, they are unable to fly out now due to the walls being closed in. So the flies are doing a great job right now at "being fruitful and multiplying."

I clean the coop and run regularly, so that is not the problem.

Is there a way to handle that problem, short of using a can of Raid?

Hang some sticky strips...just make sure they are out of the way, up high so the chickies won't stick to them!!! They also have those actual traps...like a plastic bottle with a special lid...you put them away from your house and the thing attracts them and catches/kills them...they sell them at the garden center around here. Good luck, flies are yucky!

DE will help.
also, get some fly traps with attractant like this:

12425_hpim0386.jpg

God bless and hope you get your problem solved! flies make me insane!
barnie.gif

Quote:
just hookin' you up, Lady! and you are soooo welcome!

i love these things. they stink to high heaven, but they work extremely well. the more flies that get in, the more it attracts. oh yeah!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
just hookin' you up, Lady! and you are soooo welcome!

i love these things. they stink to high heaven, but they work extremely well. the more flies that get in, the more it attracts. oh yeah!
yippiechickie.gif

Miss_jayne is right. I have 3 horses, I live in Ga=Flies. The only thing I have found that keeps the numbers down is the scented trap. I see the one above is glass, they also come in plastic. I buy plastic and when almost full throw away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom