Flies in the feed.

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I buy my feed 100lbs at a time and have been buying the TSC Dumor all flock, which is made by Purina. I store in a metal trash can, which gets emptied thoroughly before adding new. I put this round in a week ago and now itnhas flies coming out of it, i can see them digging their way to the surface when I scoop. Should i toss this batch? Probably 75 lbs left, and go buy new?

I buy my feed 100lbs at a time and have been buying the TSC Dumor all flock, which is made by Purina. I store in a metal trash can, which gets emptied thoroughly before adding new. I put this round in a week ago and now itnhas flies coming out of it, i can see them digging their way to the surface when I scoop. Should i toss this batch? Probably 75 lbs left, and go buy new?
i I would definitely go back to the TSC and talk to them about it - ask for a replacement. what was the date on the bag?

My son works at a feed store (not TS). I was complaining that my resent feed from TS has bugs hatching out of it. He said it is virtually impossible for those stores to stop bugs like weevils. So, they sell the feed knowing it may contain them but that it doesn’t hurt the birds. I would call TS and ask if they will replace it, but they may not. In the future I would go to the store and buy the bag at the very bottom of the stack. Feed is stacked youngest to oldest so costumers buy the older bags.

In the future I would go to the store and buy the bag at the very bottom of the stack. Feed is stacked youngest to oldest so costumers buy the older bags.
I would check the dates on the bags, just to be sure.

There are plenty of reasons the feed could be stacked differently on any given occasion (different policy at a different store, new worker that didn't learn yet, lazy worker + careless mangement, combining two stacks into one without checking each individual bag, etc.)

I bought a bag of feed then afterward went to the grocery store came out and my car was full of bugs. We took the feedback and got another bag. The only problem I have with buying the bag of feed from the bottom is these 50lb bags are heavy and I'd have to move quite a few to get to the bottom of the stack. I would definitely take the feedback though even if it wasn't bad to use it.

Back
Top Bottom