Flies in the run

Is there a way to control flies in the run and coop? I pick up or rake the coop as best I can but my 4 hens are molting heavily and feathers are everywhere. By the way, are the feathers recycleable?
How big is your run for 4 chickens? What do you have for litter in the run? Where are you in the world? Obviously no where near me in NY as it was below freezing all day!

Is there a way to control flies in the run and coop? I pick up or rake the coop as best I can but my 4 hens are molting heavily and feathers are everywhere. By the way, are the feathers recycleable?
I don't know about recyclable, but I'ev used them for display. I put a few in glass bottles with tops, tie some twine around it and maybe a tag that tells where it came from. I have them under lights in a display cabinet.

Attachments

• feather in bottle 1.jpg
    feather in bottle 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4
  • feather in bottle 2.jpg
    feather in bottle 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 5
  • feather in bottle 3.jpg
    feather in bottle 3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The feathers are compostable or grindable for feather meal. The flies can be trapped in soda bottles with a little glad wrap over the top, poke a hole in the wrap "fly size" and add bait to your bottle some use meat or fruit. I use a commercial fly bait called golden malrin. If you use fly bait keep your bottles up and well away from your birds and anything else you want to remain alive, it is quite serious stuff
:)

The air fresheners work for a little bit and then stop. If you've got my luck a squirrel will just steal them anyway. Fly tape does work great, tip though make the fly tape a wire cage to hang in so you don't catch anything that isn't a fly like birds, your chickens, your head.;)
Fly bags work well but smell and look ugly...
Fly tape works like magic if there is a good spot to put it.
Some people hang air fresheners in their coop to repel the flies, idk if it works. It’s worth a shot though, at least it will smell better, lol!

That isn't killing all the flies anymore at least here on the East coast. It kills the black ones, typical houseflies spot on but the blowies are shaking it off you spray them and they pretty much thank you for the perfume. I don't know if they die later or not. It is worrisome for sure. I don't like when bugs toughen up.
I'm in California too and the flies are bad right now. :( We use fly traps and permethrin spray.
View attachment 1589980 View attachment 1589981 View attachment 1589982

That isn't killing all the flies anymore at least here on the East coast. It kills the black ones, typical houseflies spot on but the blowies are shaking it off you spray them and they pretty much thank you for the perfume. I don't know if they die later or not. It is worrisome for sure. I don't like when bugs toughen up.
Have you tried the severe infestation amount?

Back
Top Bottom