FLIES

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
The flies in the coop and just all-around the yard are ridiculous. The poop from the chickens attracts them like I never expected. I am curious what I cant do to minimize this in their coop and run, and the yard in general.. I hope these flies don't lower the health my chickens. It seems very unhealthy. Btw, we are very organic and don't use any pesticides. The house was abandoned for 30 years before we moved in and we'd like to keep the soil and area as biodiverse as possible.

I only have 3 chickens, but this year we had flies swarming after a lot of rain - it was horrible, but have not been bad or back since. Maybe they were seasonal. I used fly tape & fly traps. I've read to spray with Permethrin, but it's highly toxic to cats and I have strays that come around so wasn't willing to take a chance. Hopefully your flies will move on too! Good luck!

FYI those liquid fly traps in bags smell like death farts. DO NOT get any of that liquid on you. It will attract any and all flies from the entire area and for a hot minute may make you think your infestation is worse. This was mine and my mom's (2 separate homes/coops) experience with them.

This year I'm using fly predators and while much spendier they work a treat without smelling like butt.

FYI those liquid fly traps in bags smell like death farts. DO NOT get any of that liquid on you. It will attract any and all flies from the entire area and for a hot minute may make you think your infestation is worse. This was mine and my mom's (2 separate homes/coops) experience with them.

This year I'm using fly predators and while much spendier they work a treat without smelling like butt.
Thank you! Glad I haven't made the purchase yet. I will look into fly predators!

Can I hang them in the run? I was just reading about them. I might purchase some
They do really smell bad. My neighbor was having trouble with biting flies around his hunting dogs so he hung it about 20 feet outside the dog pens and it deterred them from the dogs so the mission was accomplished. The said bag was so full of flies to the point of burst. But his dog pens are far enough from the house that odor was not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom