flight pen

Jaybird14

Songster
9 Years
Dec 30, 2014
I need to make a flight pen for my quail. It will hold about 50 bobs or coturnix. What is a good size and hight?

Where do you get the flight netting for on top?

Thanks!!
Jay

It is entirely up to you as to how much space you want to give them. Especially for Bobs. If you plan on keeping pairs in this pen during breeding season, you will need 600+ square feet. Pairs fight and will need extra space. You could help keep the peace with lots of brush piles and hidy places. Coturnix you could get away with a lot less space but just keep in mind, with either species you need 3 or 4 times the required bird space for flight.

If you plan on keeping these birds in this space for the rest of their days, I would put a roof on it. You really don't want your birds living on too much moisture all of their days. Bacteria, virus's, and parasites will grow out of control.

I have always kept my Bobs in aviaries. I have used a 10x10, a 10x20 and a 10x30. I did use a flight pen one year. It was about 600 square feet in size and I used poultry netting over top. Originally I used 2" netting on the top, but all kinds of wild birds were getting in and they carry tons of disease. (some of the quail caught "quail bronchitis). Squirrels were sneaking in too. Fortunately no predators got in during this time but they could have. So I had to recover it with 3/4 inch mesh and that seemed to keep everything out. But things can chew at night so keep this in mind. About a year later I retired it to a chicken area and it worked out better for them.

For building good flight muscles, something at least 20 or 30 feet in length, more if you can afford it. At least 6 feet in height, more like 7 or 8 for good lift. If you go with a roof, you should start with at least 7 feet in height in case they flush up into the ceiling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom