1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flight school?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mark, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    These chicks are 12 days old. I'm clucking to calm them down. They just go into this 'alert' mode.

Unlike my clicking/clucking activities, when I change their water they get fairly agitated. Today, I noticed several flying 5 or 6 inches off the ground to 'get away'. Basically, they would fly into the crowd and land on top of another chick, or they would smash into the wall.

The pen has no top. We started using it with Cornish Xs, who never flew. These guys are going to make me put a screen over the top. The pen is 4'x4'x2'.

Any idea about how much time I have to get the top on? I'm afraid they will be flying over the 2' wall in a few days.

[​IMG]

Here is an older photo of the pen with a Cornish X in it:
    [​IMG]

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My brooder is also 1' high and notice with the top off their heads clear the wall. My brooder sides are plywood so you can't see through them. Looks funny the see the heads popping into view. I would get some kind of lid on it. My chicks are only 7 days old and jump well. Mine just seem to jump for the heck of it. John

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by