flightless duck breeds

My Khaki drake flew all over the place, low and far, but always returned. He would fly up to 6 acres away to the pond! My call ducks took flight within an hour of me bringing them home, they flew off and never returned!

My Pekins have never even tried...lol..they can;t even get out of their own way!

The majority of the domestic Bantam breeds can fly good. (Call, East Indie, Australian Spotted, Silver Bantam)

For newly purchased birds, if you don't have an enclosed pen it is a good idea to clip the flights till they settle down in their new home.

The majority of the domestic heavy breeds will not fly............Muscovy do, especially the females.

giffy
------------------

Quote:
My husband has been making fun of ours because it can barley put one foot in front of the other. Aways stepping on it's toes.

My campbells cant fly even though they want to. lol. I had a muscovy that took off the day after I got her. She was my only chocolate and now I cant find more.

Runner: nope
Khakis: not usually
Welsh Harlequins: no
Buffs: no
Rouens: no

These are the ones I have personal experience with.

When I got my call ducks I put them in a pen with a pool for about a month. Now I can let them out so I can clean the pen or just for fun when I am out with them and they will herd back in. To many predators to let them roam free all the time.
They can fly but will come back once they know where they belong. I also have a Khaki Campbell and a Blue Swedish. They flap and get off the ground but are happy to go back to a safe secure area for easy FOOD!

Rouens, Pekins, Buff, Magpie, Cayuga, Runners

Ive had personal experience with all but the first two and NONE have ever made an effort to fly, where as my mallard drake always used to try.

Back
Top Bottom