flightless duck breeds

Quote:
My husband has been making fun of ours because it can barley put one foot in front of the other. Aways stepping on it's toes.

I know!! Mine are the same way! My dog gets all excited when he sees the meter reader so he will run through the flock..the poor things just about stumble over!!

My swedish don't fly. Sometimes they TRY to fly...key word there is try.
lau.gif
I have seen them running full speed away from my son
rant.gif
and they still can't get off of the ground, just a waddle run if your lucky a quick hop over a rock but most of the time those end in a nose flop.
gig.gif

I asked that question about swedish when I first got them and got a great answer..."they fly as good as bricks"

Last edited:
they fly like bricks pretty much sums it up i had one fly over a 4ft fence once w/ help from a scid i keep in there to put there food bowl in so 2ft but that isnt ne thing to worry about that was once in pushing 3 years

Bridgett, my Welsh Harlequin never tried to fly. But the young new Khaki Campbell gal, Carmen, can take off and fly like an agile little grasshopper any time she want to show off. She's the only one the drake is interested in.
So today I was startled when I saw Bridgett running along and suddenly hopped up about eighteen inches with her wings flapping!! She went about two feet and landed straight on her face!!
lol.png

ok so i know pekin ducks cant fly. any other breeds?

The only ducks that can fly are mallards, calls, ornamental, and Muscovy. The rest can't fly as they aren't built right. Khaki Campbell's sometimes do and sometimes don't fly. I've even heard of rouens flying. If you go to Metzerfarms website and go to the duck comparison chart it tells you what can and can't that they sell. Out of all of them mallards are listed as very good flyers and khaki Campbell's and rouens are listed as maybe. Other than that most domestic breeds can't fly. Here the link if anyone wants it http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=1646896

With my own personal experience my rouens can't fly and my khakis sorta can. I like to think of them as more agile than the others. They would never be able to fly away though.

Back
Top Bottom