Today my father mentioned to me that he'd seen this mourning dove walking around in front of our barn for the past few days. He said it didn't seem to be able to fly. I didn't want one of our cats, or another predator to get it, so I went out to find it. I managed to catch it and I brought it inside. I put it in an old parrot cage that I used for a cockatiel a few years ago. I have some stick perches very low in the cage for it to sit on. I also put in a little hiding place for it (an old hanging tent looking thing my parrots never used). As this was such a sudden event, all I have for it to eat right now is wild bird seed until I can get something more proper for it. I've also put in some grit for it.

I'm pretty sure this is a female dove, judging by coloring. Given it's a wild bird, if it somehow regains its ability to fly soon, I'll be releasing it. I checked her over, and she doesn't seem to have any noticeable injuries at all. Her wings don't appear to be broken, and she has all her feathers. I'm not sure why this bird can't fly. She's very lively and perky looking. Her droppings are normal as well. She hasn't eaten or drank anything yet since I brought her in a few hours ago, but I figure that's normal, given her new surroundings she's not used to.

If this bird isn't able to ever fly again, I'll probably end up keeping her. I used to have some pet pigeons, but that was 10 years ago now at least - and those were outdoor birds. This one I'm keeping inside. I have her in front of a window in my bedroom, so she gets some sunlight and can see outside. I'm gonna try and add a photo of her here in a little bit!

Other than what I've mentioned, any advice on taking care of this little girl?
I also found a ringneck dove that can't fly either. I have it contained in my barn and made it a nest out of some alfalfa hay. I fed it some wild bird seed, per a google search said to do, but it is not eating or drinking. I hope you get some answers as to how to care for it. The one I have can only fly in circles and then just falls to the ground, but I cannot find any obvious injuries. Not sure why it can't fly, but I have no clue what to do with it.

Well first off, welcome to byc! I dont know why your dove cant seem to fly. Does one wing move slower or is weaker than the other? Is there a wildlife rescue/rehab you could take it to?
I also found a ringneck dove that can't fly either. I have it contained in my barn and made it a nest out of some alfalfa hay. I fed it some wild bird seed, per a google search said to do, but it is not eating or drinking. I hope you get some answers as to how to care for it. The one I have can only fly in circles and then just falls to the ground, but I cannot find any obvious injuries. Not sure why it can't fly, but I have no clue what to do with it.

I just went to check on the injured dove that I found and I took the top off of her container and she went FLYING off!! I guess she must have just run into something and maybe it knocked her senseless!! So happy that my little dove made it overnight and happily flew away this morning!! :ya:love:wee

I just went to check on the injured dove that I found and I took the top off of her container and she went FLYING off!! I guess she must have just run into something and maybe it knocked her senseless!! So happy that my little dove made it overnight and happily flew away this morning!! :ya:love:wee
Happy news! And well done you.:clap

Yay! Very well done.

Back
Top Bottom