1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flirting with disaster...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nivrocco, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    On Saturday, after a long day of working on the coop, I came in checked on all of my babies, gave fresh food and water and a little snuggling. Later on in the night, I checked again. For some unexplained reason, I counted them. Looked around and counted again. I was missing a chick! I couldn't figure out where it could have gone. I started moving things around in the brooder..lo and behold, I had set the water on TOP OF A CHICK. She was under there for about 5 HOURS! I saw movement and picked her up..she was a little wet but otherwise unharmed. I wrapped her in a towel and snuggled her until she fell asleep. When I put her back with the others, she started eating and drinking like nothing had ever happened. We decided to name her "Seraphim" as she most certainly has an angel looking out for her..here are her pics...[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Poor girl, what size is your waterer that you set it on top of her? Atleast she came out just fine and she's a cutie [​IMG]

3. I placed my 1 gal waterer on top of a ducklings head and neck a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully he was only stuck a moment and I realized what happened when I came back with the food. He too was just dandy.

4. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    It is a 1 gallon waterer..I had it sitting directly on the shavings..which must have given her a little space.

5. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Oh I cannot imagine the horror you felt when you realized what had happened!!

I am happy that she is okay. Bless her little chicken heart!!

6. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    I had that happen also with a little giant gallon waterer and shavings. Mine also recovered fairly quickly.

They should make the bottoms of these solid because when the chickes flood the waterer it is often hard to tell if one is under there.

Sheila

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Oh my!!! I'm glad she's ok. I would have been horrified to discover one under there all that time.

I hope she continues to be fine.

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Oh my goodness! I am glad your chick is okay!

I am going to be so paranoid now when I move the waterer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by