Float test - a word of warning!

David Walsh

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2017
I wanted to share a pretty horrible experience in the hope I can help others avoid something similar.

Currently hatching half a dozen eggs from a copper blue Marans hen - beautiful chocolate dark brown eggs.

I’ve found candling particularly challenging due to the darkness of the eggs, but found a few online guides and videos recommending that for dark eggs the float test was a good idea at 17-18 days before lockdown.

Perhaps foolishly I followed this advice, and five out of the six eggs passed with flying colours. The sixth not only showed no movement, but the egg didn’t float either. All the guides I’ve read said this means either dud to start with or died along the way.

So I popped the five back in and out of sheer curiosity opened the sixth to see how far along it got before dying. To my absolute devastation I could still see a flicker of movement and what looked for a few moments like a little heart beat. I’m now sure the egg was viable before my intervention.

I feel like a murderer and a fool for following the advice. Totally devastated. I don’t know why it didn’t float - perhaps it proves the air sac wasn’t right and the chick maybe wouldn’t have made it.

But I do know it had a chance.

Please don’t do the float test. I know many people swear by it and many chicks have successfully hatched following it - but it’s clearly not reliable enough to trust.

I wanted to share a pretty horrible experience in the hope I can help others avoid something similar.

Currently hatching half a dozen eggs from a copper blue Marans hen - beautiful chocolate dark brown eggs.

I’ve found candling particularly challenging due to the darkness of the eggs, but found a few online guides and videos recommending that for dark eggs the float test was a good idea at 17-18 days before lockdown.

Perhaps foolishly I followed this advice, and five out of the six eggs passed with flying colours. The sixth not only showed no movement, but the egg didn’t float either. All the guides I’ve read said this means either dud to start with or died along the way.

So I popped the five back in and out of sheer curiosity opened the sixth to see how far along it got before dying. To my absolute devastation I could still see a flicker of movement and what looked for a few moments like a little heart beat. I’m now sure the egg was viable before my intervention.

I feel like a murderer and a fool for following the advice. Totally devastated. I don’t know why it didn’t float - perhaps it proves the air sac wasn’t right and the chick maybe wouldn’t have made it.

But I do know it had a chance.

Please don’t do the float test. I know many people swear by it and many chicks have successfully hatched following it - but it’s clearly not reliable enough to trust.
If the float test didn't kill the other 5 it didn't kill this one. It had an air sac issue or it would have floated. Sounds like the chick was premature and died after you opened it. (Happened to me once)You're not a murderer sorry.

If the float test didn't kill the other 5 it didn't kill this one. It had an air sac issue or it would have floated. Sounds like the chick was premature and died after you opened it. (Happened to me once)You're not a murderer sorry.
Thanks you for this - sorry but I don’t quite follow… when you say premature are you saying it wouldn’t have made it anyway?

Or your temperatures were too low or humidity too high so it didn't develop like like it was supposed to. Did you calibrate your incubator?
I’ve tested the readings with external testers and it’s within a reasonable tolerance. I’m pretty confident it’s not the incubator (though guess I can’t be certain)

I though OP was saying that opening the egg killed the chick.
But OP would not have opened the egg, if they had not float-tested the egg and seen it sink.

So the float test caused the person to open the egg, and opening the egg caused the death.

Thanks you for this - sorry but I don’t quite follow… when you say premature are you saying it wouldn’t have made it anyway?
Removing them from the shell is a dramatic attempt at saving one or discovering what killed them.In our case they died after removing the shell.It happens to the best don't beat yourself up over it.If you watch a couple videos you'll find not all of them make it after you remove them. Yes its disheartening and disturbing. Next time I'll give it more time before I open the shell. Some chicks are just develop slower and need more time.It doesn't mean they won't make it but it doesn't mean they will.

I thought it was premature because it was opened on day 17-18, when it needed 21 days. That's when OP did the float test and opened the egg. So it's just bad timing.

OP is warning us that a float test said this egg was "dead" when that was not true.
After OP opened the "dead" egg, the chick really did die (because it was too early to hatch.)

I float, they float…..

Attachments

• FAC8419E-D9BF-47DC-9A8E-628633AF40EC.jpeg
    FAC8419E-D9BF-47DC-9A8E-628633AF40EC.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom