Float test possible Ah Crap moment

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
My husband may have fried his entire hatch, he bumped the thermostat and didn't realize. Not sure how hot they actually got, but hot. That was Sunday morning and he got them back down to correct temp. today I decide to try the float test to see if I could detect life. They are at 15 days. I half filled the sink with 99.5 water then carefully lowered the egg in like I've done before. When I let it go it just sank instead of bobbing at the surface. I pulled it out wiped it mostly dry and tried another one. Same thing, it sank. To early? Or dead eggs?

From everything I have read on floating... Sounds bad.. But I could be wrong.. Usually sinking means dead.. If so I am sorry for your loss... There is a sticky on it.. Maybe it will help..

I've never been able to make the float test work. I would put them back in and candle with a good candler when it's nice and dark tonight and even then do you only have six days left? I'd put them in for at least a week.

Unless there is some pressing reason against it, I'd just put them back in the incubator for a week. This last hatch I had several temp spikes from days 14-21. the first one shot up to 107.3. I candled the next day and to my surprise they were all alive. For various reasons I had a temp spike each day of the last week of at least 105. There was no way I should have had a good hatch but I still had 30 of 38 hatch. Now two of them had not absorbed the yolk and died in a few days. The rest seem healthy. They may turn out to be stupid or something but right now they just seem normal.

I'd leave them in the incubator.
Tim

I put the "float test" to the test...It failed. Do not bother with it, as it is simply NOT reliable.

Lightfoote

Back
Top Bottom